Thread: Run a system restore?

Run a system restore?

Ive already posted this somewhere else but i have the strangest feeling that that was in the wrong spot...

Recently i managed to obtain a virus (dont ask me how) which deleted about 900 .exe files from my computer.

Now i cannot log in, i get my start up sound, then a box apears saying logging off and i hear shutting down sounds... -.-

I was wondering if there was anyway to run a system restore without actually logging in, or if there is anything else i can do to fix this problem..

ill try to be online tommorow some time but im on a friends computer so it might be a while!

any help is welcome
    Computers will never take the place of books. You can't stand on a floppy disk to reach a high shelf.
    -- Sam Ewing

This is the most complete answer to your questions that I have seen. It should discuss your problem and provide corrective action.

http://www.pchell.com/virus/systemrestore.shtml

Good luck.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    ...and then format C:\

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

efc: Thanks for that but the only way i can do it is with command prompt, and seeing as i cant log on i was wondering if there is any way to access command prompt without actually getting to te desktop
    piaqt: I would do that but there are a few files on my computer which i really want so save if possible and i havent backed up in like two months!
    Last edited by hazar3000; November 20th, 2007 at 04:54 AM.
    Computers will never take the place of books. You can't stand on a floppy disk to reach a high shelf.
    -- Sam Ewing

Ok.. well ive just been reading about my problem of not being able to log in, and apparently i can just start up my computer using a windows XP boot disk, the only problem is that i dont have a windows XP boot disk and no floppy disks to install it on!

if anyone knows anything i can put on a CD then i would love to know what it is and where i can get it.
    -- Sam Ewing

I have never tried, but here are two more procedures that deal with your problem.

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repa...ery%20Console:

and

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

I don't believe that you will be able to accomplish either of these without the OS CD. If you don't have the operating system CD, we will not be able to help further.

If you don't have the CD, you can purchase an oem version from Newegg or TigerDirect. Another choice might be to check out Linux.

Another thing you can do is download a Linux live CD ISO, and burn it to CD. You can then boot to linux when you start the computer as long as your CMOS is set to allow CD boot. You can then copy data files, photos, music to other drive, flash drive, etc. Then you can format and reinstall the OS.

Sorry but I don't have any other suggestions.

Good luck.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

ok, that sounds like just the thing i need so thankyou for your help and ill go and try that and hopefully it will work, otherwise ill jsut have to reformat my computer 0.0

Thanks heaps for the help
    -- Sam Ewing