Thread: New hardware recomendation

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

New hardware recomendation

I want to upgrade my PC, which probably means I have to re-buy almost everything.
    I would like SLI mainly, and I usually use lots of hard drives, so a lot of SATA connections are nice.
    With CPU platform should I go with?
    Also have in mind that I am kind of broke, but I still want good parts
    my current pc has an Asus A7N8X deluxe v2, with an AMD 2800+ (thoroughbred) overclocked running at 200 Mhz FSB, and 1 GB of Geil DDR433 running in dual channel 400Mhz, and my aging GeForce 4 Ti 4200 limited Ed.
    I am wondering if maybe I should just uprgade my video card for now, or take that money into upgrading my PC completely.
    As I said, I am short on money, but because Black Friday is coming, it might be a good time to upgrade.

You never said if you shop online or if you pay ridiculous prices at retail stores like bestbuy. But here are some online prices and parts.

$128 Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 65W Processor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115031
    $130 MSI GeForce 8600GTS 256MB PCI Express x16 Supported Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127302
    $41 PQI 2GB(2 x 1GB) DDR2 PC2 6400 Dual Channel Memory
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820141299
    $110 Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148136
    $95 GIGABYTE LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128059
    $60 APEX Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 12V 400W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811154013

I suppose thats everything. If this is too much i can find other things to replace any one of them. The Motherboard, CPU and Case i got from Anandtech budget guide, so they should be good. I didnt include a SLI because a single would be better. SLI is for those willing to spend extra for more FPS and isnt really price conscious. They also recommended the 8800gt card that goes for about $270-$300, but i figured it might be too much. It is worth considering seeing as its the best on the market at a low price. The final price for all this is $580. Thats only if your not looking for a monitor, mouse&keyboard, speakers(or)headset or a raid array. You can get 2 160GB hard drives for a little more then a single 500GB, but at least you can have a raid 0.
    Last edited by ragnarok; November 21st, 2007 at 01:45 AM.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I would probably beef the card up to the 8800gt.

If I remember correctly, its one of the better cards out there that's also DX10 compatible. I've seen some of the benchmarks on it and it's definately a good one.

Dechbad is an oldtimer at TZ so my post is not meant for him. It seemed like a good opportunity to talk to the less technically adept. With Christmas nearing, there will be many people looking at new computers or computer upgrades. Maybe this information will be helpful.

I always tell people that the first thing to do when considering a new computer is to decide what you are willing to spend. After that decision is made you can start looking for the best system that you can get for that amount of money.

I also tend to buy equipment that will have a long service life. I try to avoid dead end purchases. In other words I would not normally upgrade a processor from say a AMD 2800 to a 3800. You would get some performance boost but it would not be the same as going to a dual core processor, motherboard, and DDR2 memory. If it comes to a choice of the best processor or a video card, I might decide to use built in graphics for a couple months while I save my nickels to get the video card that I really want. There is an added benefit to this strategy. Often the card goes down in price during that wait.

I am sure that there will be those that disagree with me, but I almost never buy premium high dollar equipment. Instead I buy quality equipment from a company that I know will take care of me should I have a problem. I would never want to be in the position of having to lower my CPU choice just to be able to buy the higher priced memory.

I saw some suggestions came from Newegg. It is a good place to buy as long as you understand that it is virtually impossible to talk to a real person should a problem arise. I have made many purchases from Newegg and will make more in the future. It is not however my favorite vendor. I always start with TigerDirect. They have fantastic sales (sign up for email allerts, example last week was 1GB, 667 MHz, DDR2 for $9.99 after a rebate.) It was a one day sale you would not be aware of if you were not alerted via an email. I always make my purchases by phone which means that I deal with a real person on every purchase. In fact I deal with the same person Steven Bowden, 800-955-1888ext 5841. On the rare occasion when there was a problem, he resolved it quickly and always to my satisfaction.

One last thing to know. The phone number for Steven is his direct line. The phone system transfers you to his email when call level is high. Don't try to leave a message just call back. The extra effort will be worth it.
    Last edited by efc; November 21st, 2007 at 17:26 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

For RAM I was eyeing these:
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...85025-5&ps=ho1
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...80061-9&ps=ho3
    For the video card I prefer to spend a bit more and get 8800GT. I already was looking at tomshardware and comparing
    The CPU. I have a friend who will sell me his dual core for 40 dollars, and later on I can look into upgrading.
    for case, I already have case and power supply. nonetheless I would never run any of my PCs with a 400W PSU.
    I only buy in a store some things, like cases. I like to see it and feel it. The case is extremely important for me. My current case is a Chiefteck, aluminum powder coated blue, with absolutely no sharp edges.
    I already have a RAID 10 controller card with the hard drives (4x250 GB SATA)
    So, basically I need to get RAM, motherboard, PSU and Video card.
    What I was wondering. Is it better to run SLI 8600GT DDR3 512 each or single 8800 DDR3 512MB.
    From BestBuy I buy somtimes blank CD and DVD when they have a sALE and are free (after mail in rebate)
    My Pc right now I put together shopping online. I chose the components and later looked for the price ( I had money then so it was ok to spend 179 on my PSU) now I am not that rich anymore, so I have to tie together good, reliable and fast components with price
    Still, I was wondering if AMD or Intel is the plataform to go with. When I setup mine I went with AMD because it provided the best upgrade patch, and best performance for the money. Hardware scene has changed a lot in the last years, so I am kind of not deciding which. I know Intel has been more powerful, but I think AMD has the correct plataform because of the AM2+ platafor, which is compatible with AM2 and AM3 (coming out soon) so there is a greater range of upgrade path.
    Did you guys took a look at Spyder and Phenom? It looks to be an impressive architecture, and since I do a lot of vmware and virtual server, with gaming it attracts me a lot.
    Whenever I build a machine, mainly for me, I build it to last, and run at the highest speed posible. My current PC has run overclocked for 3 years, and I am still quite happy with the performace. The main drawback is the video card which is DX8, so I want to build my next machine to last me another 4 years (and I play lots of games, and I love high res)
    Anyhow, I want to play TombRaider Aniversary and I can't. Even need for Speed Carbon started to stress the system. But I don't want to have this problem a year from now.

efc, I did not know they had phone sales on tigerdirect. At work we purchase a lot from them, so far with no problem.

Ok......aparently i had no idea what you wanted. Anyways to help you with your SLI question this is how it is. If a 8600gt gets 40FPS, a 8800GTX will get 140FPS and a 8800gt wil get 133FPS(about). Now, to be a little blunt, for getting a new system SLI is garbage(as well as crossfire)for the price. But if you want to upgrade again a year or two later, having a SLI motherbaord is a beautiful thing. Cuz then you can spend a little to get yourself a boost. In most cases its better to start with a single card then later get another(cheaper too). At least thats what i think. Also there are plenty of guides for the holidays when it comes to PC parts. Anandtech has one. The reason i showed that memory is because PQI is a new memory maker that chooses the best chips they can find to make there products. They are said to be good. But those corsair at $35 should be good. Video card and Cpu you seem to be set on(granted you ever give up on SLI to start with). As far as motherboard goes, i go with nforce boards usually DFI for there overclocking ability. Gigabyte and MSI are solid motherboard makers with good overclocking. With power supply i always go Enermax. I was going to slam you on your comment about 400W not being enough but, seeing as you have 4 hard drives with the possible addition of a 2nd vid card it might not be enough.

well, on friday I got some stuff from newegg
    OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail at 40.99 after rebate and discounts
    Logitech MX 5000 967558-0403 Black 102 Normal Keys 21 Function Keys USB Bluetooth Wireless Standard Desktop Mouse Included - Retail at 60. I used this set at work. At home I am currently using the 3100 and I love it.
    and OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS ATX12V / EPS12V 600W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB, CE, CSA, UL, FCC - Retail for 60 as well
    For the video card I am pretty mcuh decided in 8800GT but at 300 I need to wait a little to get it. Also, it has been sold out in most places.
    What I need still to decide on is to go with AMD or Intel, and then which procesor and motherboard will make the best combination.
    I am tempted to wait for the Spider plattaform to come out with socket AM3. AM3 and Phenom have specs that interest me for graphics and virtualization.
    My PC started behaving really bad lately. There is a hard drive that looks like it is going to fail, but it might be something else like the motherboard or the PSU. Today it was using 100% to run Unreal Tournament, and it was skipping a lot. And I am talking about UT from 1999. UT uses as much CPU as you give, but it should not skip with 2.8 Ghz. Anyhow, since it could be the motherboard, hard drive, PSU or Video card I think I should just start to move to a new PC and decrease the load in my current PC. I replaced the hard drive controller card not so long ago because it was causing trouble, but I am doubting if that was the problem.
    Any suggestions about the plattaform???

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Hey Dehc, How did you go with getting some more parts for you new computer?!

@ ragnarok, your recommendations were pretty good imho... I bought exactly that, except got a Q6600 instead. 8600GTS is DirectX 10 with HDCP on dual DVI !

I agree with all, that if you can get 8800GT, then that is an excellent buy, just rare to find... so 8600 GTS is fair compromise.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well I got a GT8800 for 224 dollar. Now I just have to wait for it to be in stock
    My PC behaved even worse lately, but I might have found the problem.
    I think I will wait on the mobo and the CPU a little longer unless I find a real bargain for really good parts (like for the RAM and the PSU)
    About the problem with the PC.
    The IDE card (promise Ultra IDE Controller 100TX) had the windows driver (WInFX) and my hard drives got detected as SCSI.
    I unistalled the driver and now it has the default driver, but 1 drive still is detected as SCSI. The other 2 drives apparently I did not connect the cable well and are not detected.
    Funny is that after unistalled the driver the PC froze 3 times. Aproximately after 1 hour use. Today finally I got some time to check it out, and it was failing to boot because of COU overclocking
    Well, yes I overclocked my CPU, but 2 or 3 years ago
    I put back the CPU, and I had to lower the RAM to go with the FSB to 166. The Ram might be faulty since it is DDR433 and I had to run it at 333 to boot. I will wait a little and see what happens. If it freezes again or not. Later I will reconnect the other 2 drives and see if I finally got the PC working.

OK, new update. Now it is really working but....
    I had to remove the IDE card, so I have 4 160 GB drives less. on top of that, I tried the drives in another PC and it cannot read the FS
    So, it looks like I have to run them from the controller card. I hate it when Windows replaces drivers by itself
    I am thinking about my options to recover the data. It is just too much data to burn to CD, not to mention that in one of the games I had all my video games and program files
    It looks like I will have a busy end of year.