Thread: PCI Express... version confusion

PCI Express... version confusion

I have a 1-year-old Fujitsu "Scaleo P". I want to upgrade the graphics card to support 2 big monitors, and since I don't play games I was looking at this: http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...00,47710000,12
    The only thing is, it is described as PCI Express x16 and I don't know if I have this. I know I have PCI Express but is x16 the standard version? How can find this out?

Oh and also, does dual-DVI mean it has two sockets on the card, or is it possible there would just be one, and I'd have to get a DVI splitter?

Many thanks.

Hey d000hg,
    I just looked up the specs on your model system and looks like it is PCI-E x16 but just to be certain i have found the correct specs your system also has the AMD Athlon 64x2 2GHz processor,320GB Hard drive and intergrated graphics,pre installed with XP home correct?

The specs i found seems to show that your model has both PCI-E x16 and AGP x8 slots.

As for your DVI question Dual DVI does mean it will have two DVI connections for 2 monitor devices.So you have no worries there.Hope that helps and if anyone else has anything i forgot feel free to add

Wow, thank you for the fast and helpful response. Those do sound like my specs.

By the way, is x16 the same as 1.0? Or are 1.0, 2.0 and x16 3 separate versions of PCI Express?

Thanks again.

Im not an expert on the differences by a long shot but from what i know PCI 1.0,2.0,and x slots are the older form of connections and started being used in systems back in 1991-1993

PCI-E is a newer alternative has two types of connections x16 and x1 and are completely different then older PCI slots in older systems and also has a much faster speed and datarate then older PCI slots.PCI-E is basically the latest alternative to AGP slots used mainly for Graphics cards and such while the older PCI slots are still used for a wide range of devices (modems,network and sounds cards, ect.)
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; December 1st, 2007 at 19:26 PM.

Oh, I know that PCI and PCI-E are totally different. But I've seen cards described as "PCI Express 1.0", "PCI Express x16" & "PCI Express 2.0" - I don't know how these work, although I'd assume that maybe a PCI-E 2.0 could even work on a PCI-E 1.0 system, at a lower speed? A bit like with AGP.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    PCI Express is getting really confusing lately with newer motherboards and their different interpretations.

From the above posts and sort of common knowledge, PCI Express is the new standard replacing normal PCI.

Ok, how they differentiate the slots is by the Bus Width or easier to look for the Multiplication Factor... There are baby slots x1 (for Network/Modems/Sound Cards), x4 slots for Physics Cards etc, x8 slots for dodgy video cards, the one most people should be aware of is the x16 slot. This is the Graphics Slot!

NOW, just looking at graphic slots. Some motherboards actually have 2 x16 slots, this means you can install 2 x video cards in nVidia SLI or ATI Crossfire Mode.

OK, Currently the PCI Express standard comes in version 1.0 and Version 2.0. They are the same x16 slot size/layout etc.. except, obviously, 2.0 has better processing/ bandwidth/ new technology etc...

For intel, i think chipsets from P35, X38 and onwards are PCI Express version 2.0.

Currently Most Video Cards are PCI Express version 1.0, but new models are version 2.0.

For backwards compatibility, I think it is only 1 way... that is... you can put a Version 1.0 card in a 2.0 slot, but not a 2.0 card in a 1.0 slot (Ofcourse perhaps newer drivers can fix that problem).

I hope this helps, ask more questions to clarify

ALSO, Dual DVI, usually means that there are 2 DVI output ports on the end of video card. So you can connect 2 separate monitors. No need for splitters.
    Last edited by cash_site; December 18th, 2007 at 01:57 AM. Reason: more info.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---