Thread: Home Theatre PC people here?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar

Home Theatre PC people here?

Hi!

I'm just wondering if anyone here made a home theater to watch tv and movies and i'm wondering what software you are using?

I think it is a great idea and will change the way you watch tv if you can get it setup.

Time shifting is awesome!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I set one up a few years back but I don't use a PC. I use a Sony 5.1 amplifier along with JBL Studio Series speakers.

Bronze Member
    I had a Denon system with paradigm speakers but was burglarized several years ago.
    lynchknot's altered ego

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I've started using my Old XBOX with XBMC (mediaCenter)... it's networked to my laptop with a Digital USB TV Tuner, that i can remotely web-schedule tv shows, and then stream to the XBOX to LCD with 5.1 ...

Depends if you have dedicated viewing room? Then i'd head towards projector setup! What were you thinking about?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I am thinking strictly PC PVR software and what do you use and find the simpliest. I have been using a gem for a week and have found the simpliest easiest and best Computer PVR software and it's called GBPVR and it is 100% free and it runs on windows software so there is no Linux learning curve like you have with MythTV.

I have a full guide and you can install plugins to include mame and other cool things like webcams from around the world and you can even have your local theatre's in a menu and the software download the trailers so you know what is playing down the street. I have tried many PVR software solutions for the computer and this one is easy to use and manage and is completley free,

Head on down to www.gbpvr.com and give it a try!

There is even a wiki that outlines every step from install to configuring.
    http://www.gbpvr.com/pmwiki/

Plugins are supported by the open community and it's all free.

I output the HTPC to a projector and I love the thing!

You can install GBPVR as a client on all the other computers on your network and watch TV and recorded shows in High Quality streaming anywhere you have a computer and you can even schedule and watch shows over the internet. They think of everything these guys and the software is tops in my books.

I wanted to know who has made a home theater PC in the past and what software are you currently using. You have got to give this one a try.
    Last edited by egghead; December 17th, 2007 at 09:33 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Wow Egg, That does look fantastic!

I don't anything as intricate, just default TV Software that came with the Digitalnow.com.au TinyUSB HDTV device.

That GBPVR has some great features, I'd like to try out - however, is it localised to USA? Or will it download the movie trailers from the Theatre down MY street?

Do you need a dedicated MCE2005 install ? How powerful (or not) PC would you need to run a smooth installation (i.e. would a laptop hiding in the TV Cabinet be good enough)?

Will let you know how i go

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---