Thread: laptop keyboard trouble

laptop keyboard trouble

Another problem in my already growing list (check the software forums)

ok,onto the problem.

i recently purchased a nec versa p570 laptop
    i down graded it to XP using the downgrade disk
    i installed all the drivers from the XP drivers disk
    i face constant problems now, one of which is this:

i turn my computer on, it starts up and my touchpad works
    as soon as i press anything on my keyboard my touchpad stops working and i cannot type anything at all with the keyboard, i cannot see the keyboard in the device manager and i cannot access bios or anything at startup because i cannot press any keys!
    btw im typing with the on screen key board....

any help would be hugely appreciated!

thanks
    Computers will never take the place of books. You can't stand on a floppy disk to reach a high shelf.
    -- Sam Ewing

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    do you have an external keyboard you can test to get to the bios atleast

no, but ill see if i can borrow one off a mate

if i cant do that is there anything else i can try, cause im going away for about 3 weeks so I wont be able to get a hold of the keyboard if i cant get it this afternoon
    Computers will never take the place of books. You can't stand on a floppy disk to reach a high shelf.
    -- Sam Ewing

Are you sure the drivers are for that notebook? If not driver downloads can be accomplished here - http://www.nec.com/global/support/downloads/index.html

If you know you have the right drivers, I still suspect one or more is causing your problem. A way to find out is to get hold of any Linux live CD. The live CD will allow that notebook to boot into Linux. If the keyboard works then you know that you have a driver issue.

To obtain Linux Live CD, get a friend to download iso and burn the iso to a blank CD using session at once procedures.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

im fairly sure its not a driver issue but ill check anyway
    which driver is for the keyboard anyway?there doesn't appear to be any "keyboard" driver but that is probably just my lack of knowledge
    -- Sam Ewing

o well im off on holidays, wont be able to check thread for 3 weeks but if anyone thinks of anything else i can do please post and i will check when i get back

thanks for all the help
    -- Sam Ewing

This information comes from Microsoft.
    Some mouse and keyboard devices require special software (other than a driver) to run them. If you do not install this software, the device might not work at all, or some of its features might not work correctly.

If your device came with software, follow the manufacturer's instructions to install it. If you have just upgraded to a new version of Windows, you might need an updated version of the software also.

Contact the manufacturer of your device, or visit the manufacturer's Web site, to find out whether a software update is available.

I have tried to find the appropriate software at the NEC support site. I see that your profile shows you are from Shanghai. Hopefully you can read the Chinese portion of the site. It is functional. The North American portion in English is down. Good luck.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Might need to boot into safe mode to see all the devices listed. Typically you can remove them from DM then, reboot and hopefully they redetect and work normally.