Thread: Adding hard drive

Gold Member

Adding hard drive

I currently have XP Pro on my "C" drive. I plan to install another hard drive and then install Vista on it, to see if I like it or not. After I have Vista installed on the second hard drive, that I am still waiting for, is there a way or program to install, that would ask me what hard drive I want to boot from when the computer starts up ? There has to be an easier way than going into the Bios and changing the boot sequence. Thanks, Mike

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Two methods.

After you have installed Vista your subsequent startup sequence screens will give you the option to boot from XP, listed as "Earlier version of Windows", or "Microsoft Windows Vista". You use the up or down arrows to highlight the one you want.

Alternatively boot into Vista and right click on Computer and select Properties. On Advanced System Settings click on the Settings button under Startup and Recovery and select the operating system from the dropdown menu that you want to use as the Default Operating System.

Note - if using the second method you have to make the changes from within Vista and not XP.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Gold Member
    Thanks Reverend for the quick reply. I am printing these instructions for when I get the hard drive in the mail.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    3rd alternative...disconnect secondary drive.