Thread: External Hard drive enclosures?

External Hard drive enclosures?

Hey guys,
    This is just a general suggestions and opinions topic to help me in a decision.I am looking to purchase a new external Hard drive enclosure for housing a WD 500GB IDE for duplicating data from my desktop in order to travel with a notebook.As we all know there are hundreds of enclosures and i've been doing alot of reading over at newegg but its still a hard choice.So i was hoping for any suggestions and feedback you all can give on which is a good option and reliable.Now my main concern is heat of course i know some enclosures have fans but quite a few dont and even ones with fans still can get pretty hot.This portable enclosure will also recieve a ton of use so one that isnt made for prolonged use is no good to me (were talking anywhere from 2-6 hours continuous use maybe more) also needs to be a USB2.0 connection,so all imput is welcome and thanks as always
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; January 2nd, 2008 at 20:45 PM.

I would choose a NAS enclosure. The Network Attached Storage enclosure allows you to connect it to a router or switch. With that done you can access it from any computer on your LAN.

Here are a couple examples:

http://www.antonline.com/p_NAS-806-EF-NX_223859.htm

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9382&CatId=207
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hey efc,
    Thanks for the suggestions.Those look like some very nice enclosures there.I dont think i really require NAS yet as this particular drive will be for my personal files and personal work so no need for sharing yet.My main goal is for backup purposes and mobility with this purchase.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I have a vantec enclosure works great and is a ext sata. then I recently bought a western digital 500gig book that is working fine also. so I guess comes down to what youre needs are. like EFC said my next one will definitely be a NAS storage.

vantec: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145167

WD my book: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136025
    Last edited by phishhead; January 4th, 2008 at 00:25 AM.

Hey Phish,
    I was actually looking closely at that same exact enclosure except it was the USB version.But i believe it did not have a fan so i was worried about heat.Does yours cool well?I was looking at the

Galaxy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817716019

But i notice there arent many choices for IDE enclosures with fans.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I only use it to store the images of all the pc's in the house. but when I do transfer images to it, its never gets hot. alittle warm but granted I'm usually dropping 20-40gig images to it. Then I turn it off and but it back in my desk. I dont want it connected or turned on dont want my images getting viruses or brown outs and losing it all.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I have three of the vantec cases, they are awesome, even bought some more for my dad/friends/etc... Larger HDs can get quite warm, but not hot enough to cause issues. USB2.0 is very fast on my Laptop... but the case shines with eSata on my Desktop!

For travel though, i'd recommend a 2.5" cases, powered through USB so no need for a power brick. 2.5" Drives are hitting 300-500 GB !! So plenty of mobile storage (just dont drop it!)

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hey cash,
    Sounds like we might have a winner im starting to lean more toward going with a 750GB Sata 3.0 and an external sata enclosure,As for a 2.5" yeah im already ahead of you lol.currently my laptop has a 100Gig HDD in it i wanna replace that with a 250Gig and stick the 100GB in an external enclosure.I was looking at this Vantec 2.5" but i kinda hate the fact it needs 2 USB ports.Im wondering if there are any out there that takes just one.

By the way where did you see these 300-500GB 2.5's?Highest i seem to be able to find are 250GB but i heard there are 320's out there.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant View Post

By the way where did you see these 300-500GB 2.5's?Highest i seem to be able to find are 250GB but i heard there are 320's out there.
    Last I knew I think the biggest was also 250gb but then again I haven't looked in a couple months. If you want a 7200rpm drive though the biggest you can get is a 160gb, that's what I have in my laptop. The extra speed to me is noticeable plus it's sata 300. You can usually find them on the dell website or just search around the net, can't remember where I got mine, but if you want I can look into it.

Hey nate,
    My laptop is a little older so still uses IDE HDD's,I know the 250GB's are only in 5400 RPM's but im more in need of space then speed.But i will remember that when i upgrade to a newer laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant View Post
    Hey nate,
    My laptop is a little older so still uses IDE HDD's,I know the 250GB's are only in 5400 RPM's but im more in need of space then speed.But i will remember that when i upgrade to a newer laptop.
    Here are several large, fast IDE drives.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Sort=0&Recs=10
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    Here are several large, fast IDE drives.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Sort=0&Recs=10
    Thanks efc but i think you misunderstood,we were talking about 2.5" laptop hard drives

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    For travel though, i'd recommend a 2.5" cases, powered through USB so no need for a power brick. 2.5" Drives are hitting 300-500 GB !! So plenty of mobile storage (just dont drop it!)
    These bigger hard drives all seem to be sata so you may be outta luck there bhx. Looks like you might be stuck with a measly 250gb

Haha thats ok Nate,I figure i shove a 250GB IDE 2.5" in the laptop then i add a 750GB SATA in external enclosure to go along with the 250GB IDE i have in external enclosure.Then i still have the 100GB 2.5" in external for traveling.Should be way more then enough for what i want to do.