Thread: CD drive problem

CD drive problem

Lately, my CD-ROM drive has not been working. It plays audio CDs, but not program (i.e. games) CDs. I have tried switching all the IDE channels from "DMA if available" to "PIO only" and back again, but it has no effect. When I place it in the drive, it whirs four to five times, but the program does not load on its own. If I try the desktop icon, it gives a message about "please enter correct CD etc." If I try to run it manually through "Run," it gives a message about an "I/O device error." I'm about to just get a new external drive, but I'd like to see if there are any other solutions I can look into (I DON'T want to take it to "the shop," because here, they love to scam you.)

I'm not sure of the model, but it's a Ricoh JustLink. I looked on their website for driver updates, but I wasn't sure if they supported my model or not. Also, I have another CD drive above it, but I don't think it's functional.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    How old is it?

Not entirely sure - we got it from a PC shop about 3 or 4 years ago at the same time as the PC, but I can tell it didn't originally come with the tower, so it could be older or newer than the computer.

Cd drives are cheap nowadays, I would opt for a new one, preferably a DVD writer.

I was looking into getting an external one from newegg, but the only question I have about that is that those drives require USB 2.0 ports, something I don't have. So, is there a way to make my ports 2.0?

It would be easier and cheaper to just get an internal drive.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    It would be easier and cheaper to just get an internal drive.
    Conan is right, it would be so much simpler just to get another internal one plus it'll be cheaper a decent one now a days is only around 30 dollars which is a lot cheaper then any external would be. All you have to do is swap out the old one which only consists of taking out a couple of screws pop out the power and ide cable and then plug it back into the new one, simple as that. But if you still want to go with an external one your usb port doesn't have to be usb 2.0 all usb devices are backwards compatible it's just that usb 2.0 is faster then 1.0.

Okay, sounds simple enough. My tech-savvy friend suggested some brands, but anyone know any large-scale chains where I can get one? Because I went to Best Buy, and their selection was very limited and highly overpriced.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GregCujo View Post
    Okay, sounds simple enough. My tech-savvy friend suggested some brands, but anyone know any large-scale chains where I can get one? Because I went to Best Buy, and their selection was very limited and highly overpriced.
    newegg.com or tigerdirect.com just check reviews first. If you order tomorrow from newegg you'll most likely have the new drive by the end of the week they are usually very quick at getting items shipped out, make sure to order early in the day though, morning works best, so it's in their system. Either of these two models would work out fine for you Liteon or LG, both drives are 34 after shipping. It just depends on if you want a specific brand or not, and since your pc is 4 years old, if Im' not mistaken, you will need an ide drive not a sata one.
    Last edited by Nate89; January 7th, 2008 at 05:36 AM.

This is my choice. I ordered this drive a few minutes ago.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...639&CatId=2873
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    This is my choice. I ordered this drive a few minutes ago.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...639&CatId=2873
    That too is a good choice I just never got around to looking at tiger because I was trying to get to bed last night. Any of the three listed would work well or you can look around and always find something else. Plus the ones on newegg would save about 5 dollars if it matters that much. Since I'm a poor college kid I always try to save as much as I can and I know tiger is usually a little more expensive.

It is worth the $5 to me should there be something with the shipment. I call Steven and he makes it right. I had a problem with newegg once and it was a real downer. I still buy from newegg form time to time, but it has got to be something that is significantly cheaper.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition