Thread: Linux and Fedora

Linux and Fedora

Opinions please...........

We are wondering if any of you have used either, and what do you think?

We'd like to download and try both......system requirements? Can we use some old stuff laying around?

Thanks!

Sharon

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I use Fedora Core 8 currently and I do like it. Understand tho that there are definite differences between any linux distro and Windows. Also a bit of a learning curve. But don't get discouraged. We do have a pretty good Linux forum found here, which I encourage you to read thru. Again there are many different flavors of Linux to choose from. Which flavor fits you best is up to you.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Can we use some old stuff laying around?
    What are the spec's on the "old stuff " ? there's versions of Linux that run on some pretty old systems.

Puppy Linux and TinyMe Linux are real good on lower powered systems, they scream on higher powered one's.

IMHO, pick the right Distro and Linux is easy to learn, the hardest part is learning the new names of programs and how the file system is laid out. The easy Distro's keep you in the game (GUI oriented) longer so you can learn at your leisure.

Go Here and download the various versions that offer LiveCD's and give them a try.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    I support RedHat, CentOS, OpenBSD, and Fedora at work. Ubuntu at home. For me, Ubuntu seems the most user friendly - especially with the installation process. And the support community is the best.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Personally I have found different. Ubuntus community suked fer me. FreeBSD is a good one as well as pclinuxos and linux mint.

I use Ubuntu, but its getting too dull for me, I need something else, perhaps in the range of RedHat ^^ Im tired of Debian.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I agree with FastGame, try out the LiveCDs... they boot the PC with no need to install or overwrite any HD data. I tried PCLinuxOS 2007, and have been using it on and off for a while now... I'd recommend that first off Good luck, and persevere through the learning curve, and you'll be quite impressed with quality of these distro's now.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---