Thread: Find drivers [FIXED]

Gold Member

Find drivers [FIXED]

I found several driver programs to download and find drivers for the computer,
    but there is a charge to have them give you a link to the actual driver. Has anyone found a program that identifies what drivers you need, AND gives you a link to the driver for free ?? Guess I am asking for too much ?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Go directly via the manufacturers websites. Most of them will have a driver download section.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Gold Member
    Reverend--That works if you know the manufacturer of the device that you need a driver for. Sometimes it is difficult to determine the manufacturer, especially if the device is built into the motherboard. I am using an old version of Everest Home to help identify the devices. In fact Everest Home does not give me the same info. when I am coming from XP Pro versus Vista. Is there a better program to use ?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Gold Member
    Thanks Reverend for mentioning Belarc Advisor. It tells me that the video display (which is what I need) is a VIA / S3G UNICHROME PRO IGP . That is what Everest Home identifies the device as also. Unfortunately I still can not find the driver for it with Vista. All that I can find is XP drivers, and they don't work. I will keep looking. Thanks, Mike

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

Gold Member
    FastGame---Thanks for the driver link, but it did not work, I got some kind of error message that I couldn't read in time. I am having other issues with Vista, so I think I will just format the drive and start over. Maybe when SP1 comes out things will improve.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by mike13 View Post
    , so I think I will just format the drive and start over.
    ..whoa, no reason to do that - just because of the video driver! :F You can always try and uninstall/configure from safe mode:
    Code:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Mike, were you able to download that vista S3 driver? When did u get the error? Also, on that same site, is a 'note' that says the driver should be available through Windows Update.

If all else fails, are you able to install a AGP or PCI-Express video card?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Gold Member

Angry

nimd4 -- I already did the format and reinstalled Vista. It does seem better now. I must have messed up the first install. I really had just installed Vista, so I did not have anything else to install after I reloaded Vista.
    cash_site --- I tried that driver that Fastgame gave me the link to. Still does not work. After the download, I get the message that "SETUP WAS UNABLE TO COMPLETE THE INSTALLATION. CHECK THE PROGRESS LOG IN YOUR WINDOWS DIRECTORY LOG FOR MORE DETAILS" Don't know how to do that. Anyway, back at the site for the drivers, they say for CHROME, mine is a "UNICHROME" as I mentioned earlier. That may be the reason it does not work. . The main reason I was looking for a driver was because Windows Media Player would not open up a DVD when I loaded it. I got the message that says "WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER CANNOT PLAY THIS DVD BECAUSE IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO TURN ON ANALOG COPY PROTECTION ON THE OUTPUT DISPLAY. TRY INSTALLING AN UPDATED DRIVER" When I loaded Vista, I guess it just installed a generic driver for the video which does work for everything except viewing DVD's. When I boot to the other hard drive that has XP Pro on it, WMP does open and play the DVD. I think that is because when I bought the computer, I got a CD with all the drivers on it, but they were only for XP, and not Vista. I also tried different codecs, but that did not help either. Then. somehow I got a program called VLC installed on the Vista hard drive. Now when I put a DVD in, VLC opens and plays the DVD with no problem. Someone mentioned that VLC is actually as good if not better than WMP. So at least I can view my DVD's. I will keep checking for a new VIA / S3G UNICHROME PRO IGP driver, but until then I can watch the DVD's using that VLC program. Thanks, Mike

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Well good to hear you got some of it sorted out Mike. I haven't seen that copy protection error before, it does look pretty weird. BUT yes, VLC is a very good player, with many codecs built-in ! Although I've been pretty happy with WMP 11, i did have to use VLC last night to watch some Markov (MKV) encoded files. VLC supports it out of the box!

I'll keep an eye out for your drivers still... have you done a search on http://www.viaarena.com

check out Driver List

Good luck.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

via has a lot of s3 drivers, though without knowing your motherboard its hard to say which you need, go to
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...=36&CatID=2900
    select your motherboard type and it should lead you to the right driver, thats for 32 bit vista

Gold Member
    IT WORKED !!!! I went to that "viaarena" site that you recommended, I found my motherboard the P4M890T, and downloaded the driver. Rebooted
    the computer, inserted the same DVD, and WMP 11 opened and played it.
    Many thanks to cash_site, thraxed, and all the others who offered help. This site is the Greatest. Mike