Thread: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)

Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)

Hey guys,
    Just was doing some work on my system preparing for a clean install of Windows and ran into this error.I am attempting to transfer all my important files from my main hard drive (maxtor 120GB) to my Slave WD 250GB HDD,both using ntfs file system.Now i know what the error means but the questions is what is causing it and how to stop it.Been googling the issue and theres alot about it but nothing in terms of fixing it that i found yet.any help would be great.Also note this only seems to hapen with very large files around 1GB or more in size.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; January 16th, 2008 at 23:00 PM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you tried defragging both drives first.

If the problem persists you could zip or rar the files and then transfer that to the slave.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Also, try to put the two hard-drives on separate ide channels.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hey guys,Thanks for the Replies.
    @Rev-Havent tried defragging yet but Raring the files could be an option although thats alot of files to Rar over 50GB of Data and files.

@Cash both drives arre alrready on seperate channels,My main C: drive is on one and a slave 80GB and slave 250GB is on the 2nd.I also have a PCI IDE card i use but not sure if that could be causing the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant View Post
    Hey guys,
    Just was doing some work on my system preparing for a clean install of Windows and ran into this error.I am attempting to transfer all my important files from my main hard drive (maxtor 120GB) to my Slave WD 250GB HDD,both using ntfs file system.Now i know what the error means but the questions is what is causing it and how to stop it.Been googling the issue and theres alot about it but nothing in terms of fixing it that i found yet.any help would be great.Also note this only seems to hapen with very large files around 1GB or more in size.

I just had this problem with Windows XP. The error happons when you get the the first GUI screen and then it will pop with an error message. This usaly happons when the installation CD is damaged. (Mine did not look damaged or scracthed up) but what I did was copy all the files from my original windows XP disk and made another copy of it. Then I installed off the new copy and that worked like a champ for me. A Data Error (cyclic redundancy check) usaly mean there is a problem with the data transfer and the system thinks it is damaged data.

I just gone through this less than 24 hours ago. I hope this helps you.

Also if you get the new install of XP to the GUI where you first see the message you can put the new copy of XP into the CD rom and reboot the system and the install will pick up where it left off at. That will save you some time on the install.
    Last edited by Linedawg; January 17th, 2008 at 20:30 PM. Reason: More Info

Hey Line,
    Nope my issue seems to be different i dont get the error during GUI screen it only happens when i am transferring files between drives long after windows boots.I've been using my same Windows XP Pro SP2 disc for ages and never hadd this problem before.

Since it is not the CD you may need to run a check disk on your hard drive that you are trying to load windows too. You can do this in the windows recover consol or by taking the hard drive out and let another computer run the check. It sounds like you may have some bad block on the hard drive. If you run check disk through DOS use this command chkdsk /p. Hopefully it will fix and or mark and bad blocks on your hard drive and clear up that problem for you.

I've had this problems a few times, one time it was just bad memory. The other time it was that i had my memory cl timings screwed up. Last time I had it was due to my promise controller card going bad.

Hey Line,
    Im pretty sure the OS or CD isnt the cause of the issue,already tried check disk and turned up clean.

@thraxed now that is interesting my PCI-IDE card is a Promise Ultra 133 TX2,I dont think it's bad as it works fine for everything but hopfully this isnt the cause.

Now i dont know if this would have any involvment in the issue but thought i would mention.All my drives are set up as Primary Partitions NTFS but my 250GB is logged as an Extended Partition Logical Drive.Could this have anything to do with the problem?

Bit of an update on this issue,I tracked this error down to two ISO files now im faced with an issue.I tryed everything i can think of such as burning the files to DVD,transferring to external HDD,moving to thumbdrive,transferring to another Pc over my network and all give me the same error.Even RARing the files meets me at the same error.Im really confused at what could cause this on the two specific files.More importantly the files dont seem to be damaged in any way so i cant figure out why.If anyone out there has any other suggestions at this point im open.

Hmm... are you able to load the ISO in daemon tool etc? How were the ISO's created? It might not be 100% ISO format hence the CRC... you might be able to extract all the files in the ISO, then Author a new CD/ISO... see how that goes.

What are the ISO's of?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hey cash,The ISO's were downloaded,one is a language pack for the language learning tool called "rosetta stone" the other is an ISO of a PC game.And hmm thats a good idea cash i think i will have to try that.The weird part is in the past i moved them several times from drive to drive and never had this issue until now

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    some of your hard drive sectors are corrupt

unfortunately, part of the data will be lost

mount the iso's and use clonecd to get what it can and do a full format and the drive should avoid the bad sector in the future
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks egghead,thats what i was starting to fear,luckily using ISObuster i managed to extract the complete ISO to my external drive without error.So now i just have to format the drive.

Yeah, I think most of the ISO apps have options to 'miss' bad sectors. Maybe a good defrag with the option to recover/remap bad sectors would be a good idea.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---