Thread: Site blocking software

Site blocking software

I've come pretty dependant on my netgear router for blocking websites. The nice thing about my netgear router is when I visit a webpage I can goto logs section winthin my router after visiting a webpage. Then I can see all the adware pages that loaded along with the site. Copy & paste em into the blocked sites on the router and make for easier surfing. Anyone know of a program/ie plugin that will do the same thing, identify and block?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I'm sure there's software for blocking things you describe, I don't know any because Firefox with the NoScript extension works real good. With the addition of Adblock extension it should be real tight on the bad things, I don't like or use Adblock myself.

If you use IE 7, tighten up the security levels and use the Trusted Site feature.

Try Opera.

Tighten up the cookie settings in your browser.

Use an AV that has HTTP scanner (WebShield), one that includes spyware detection. Avast & NOD32 had these for a long time, the other AV's are now adding their own versions.

You could try PeerGuardian and only enable the HTTP blocker ???? I think this will block the whole site ???

In general (you posted this in "Internet Explorer/Outlook Express" section), explore the IE 7 security options and make adjustments, use an AV with WebShield, use Windows in Limited User Account, be happy and don't worry
    Last edited by FastGame; January 23rd, 2008 at 17:14 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I use Spybot with the edited Hosts file.

What model netgear router do u have? I have the WPN824 but couldnt find the block site function.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    I have the WPN824 but couldnt find the block site function.
    On my DG834 it's under "Security" in the left hand menu of the router manager interface.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

I posted on this subject last summer. Since I am inherently lazy, I am linking to that thread instead of retyping the whole thing.

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19558
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Haha, that's a good one efc! I was lazy and clicked the link rather than do a forum search

Nice tips btw!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks for the replies, the host file solution seems to work great at blocking sites. The MVPS works well almost to well it seems to cut off some site functions, example gamecopyworld.com you can no longer search for stuff, maybe weeding through it i can get that feature back. Though identifying the sites that load up along with a webpage it doesn't help much with.

You always run into trade-offs when it comes to security. Only you can make the decision as to which way you go.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition