Thread: Frame rate per second problem

Frame rate per second problem

Hello everyone I have a problem with one of my computers. On my new system with a PCI-E gForce 8500GT with 4 gig of ram my FPS will drop to 10 – 20. Mean while my other system running a AGP video card 7900 GT gForce and 2 gig of ram will run the game and application at 60 FPS without missing a beat. Why is the system with a PCI-E card having frame rate problem where a AGP card is not. I have played with all my setting and even mirrored them between the two systems and my new computer is still having a FRP problem. Any idea’s on this?

Also I have reinstalled the drivers and the mother boards chip set with no luck in helping out my FPS.

Well there is a difference between a $200 vs $60 dollar card. The shader models vary on the cards, 3.0 vs 4.0, shaders can take a toll on performance with any game. One is a dx10 the other dx9, when ya go dx10 your going to need a card with some ummph, and from what i've read that card really doesn't quite cut it. Though if your looking for performance gain you should always try the latest drivers, also try omega drivers, there usually more optimized then the default one nvidia provides, also look into overclocking the card, just don't go to high on the oc or you might burn out the card.

So I guess the best option is to get a 8600 GT for better performance value. I found one for $150, I really have to say this 8500 GT is very disappointing in its performance.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Hmm... I dont really think its the actual video card... perhaps more a compatibility issue or a known 'game' issue...

You might have stated in other threads, but what are your computer specs including model numbers etc.. AND, what games + versions, are you experiencing these frame-drops? Are they online games, is it internet related?

FYI, I have the 8600GTS and don't have any troubles, the 8500 shouldn't too far behind... If possible, save your cash just a little longer and try to get a 8800GT (best bang for buck ever).

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I managed to get a work around that will allow my FPS to stay between 60 – 90 FPS. I went into NVIDIA Control panel and manual changes my setting for the game and other application that would need to have decent frame rates. Under Manage 3D setting -> Program Setting, I added and selected the program I needed to have a good FPS to function correctly. These are the setting I changed

Anisotropic Filtering -> 16x

Antialising Gamma correction -> ON

Antialising Mode -> Override any application setting

Antialising setting -> 16x

Antialising Transparency -> Multisampling

Vertical sync -> Force off

Then the last thing I did was change my refresh rate from 60hz to 70hz. After that was done my FPS increased a lot. Do you think there may be any danger of overheating or any other unforeseen problem?

8600 GT: 32 stream processors, 540 MHz core, 700 MHz mem
    8500 GT: 16 stream processors, 450 MHz core, 400 MHz mem

big differenct between models, 8500 gt about the same as a radeon x1300-1600 w/ dx 10 support, it just doesn't have the guts it needs

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    big differenct between models, 8500 gt about the same as a radeon x1300-1600 w/ dx 10 support, it just doesn't have the guts it needs
    yep, that card isn't made for games...

I would set the Anisotropic Filtering -> 8x and the Antialising setting -> to off or 2x max, I don't know how that card even functions at the 16x AA setting

I made the changes you showed and the FPS is still good, it is staying between 50 – 70. This will by me a little time before having to change out the card for a new one. Thank you for all you help on this.

Dude, are you sure you are getting 60-70FPS with AA and Filtering set to 16x?! Then your computer must be a monster, cos it's usually those settings (as well as resolution) that people either reduce or turn off completely!!

Have a bit of experimentation, max the settings, and then reduce until you get a consistent 60-70 FPS, a good idea is to get it around the same value as your Refresh rate (60-70Hz).... this just makes it super smooth, reduced tearing or ghosting etc...

Then when you start playing Crysis... just turn everything OFF

@thraxed, nice find on the specs... i didn't know there was that much difference. Wow, I can't imagine what the 8800 Cards are spec'd at! 1200Mhz or something...lol.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Now all u peeps know why I opted for the PS3.....lmao....ah yes, the neverending story...and the beat goes on...or should I say the bucks.....all I can say for the PS3 is................

I definitely agree Piper, but... I still can't get co-ordinated enough to play Shooters with the ps3/xbox controllers! give me wasd anyday

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Linedawg View Post

Anisotropic Filtering -> 16x

Antialising Gamma correction -> ON

Antialising Mode -> Override any application setting

Antialising setting -> 16x

Antialising Transparency -> Multisampling

Vertical sync -> Force off

Then the last thing I did was change my refresh rate from 60hz to 70hz. After that was done my FPS increased a lot. Do you think there may be any danger of overheating or any other unforeseen problem?
    As msot people have already said, those settings should not improve you FPS..
    I did read a couple of times and I did not find what game you are playing and how you are gettign the FPS. Some games are more dependent in CPU that others. Example, Unreal Engine (Unreal Tournament, Gears of War, etc) use more CPU than Quake and doom engine.
    Anyhow, regardless of the game it is most of the settings you described should not give you FPS over 2 in that card with a heavy weight game.
    Anisotropic Filtering will have a heavy resource consume. So the setting for 16 it would be next to impossible. Same as Antialiasing. Actually even worse, since you have both enabled together, the anisotropic filtering is lessening the effects of the antialiasing (thought not the use of the resource).
    However, most likely you did not applied this to the game since the game probably still overwrote your settings.
    So, going back why you are getting low FPS. It might be just a question about the game and how it uses the hardware. For example FEAR. I cannot get more than 60 FPS it does not matter what I do. But the expansion actually does chnage the FPS depending on the settings.
    So, which setting you want to change?
    Leave the defaults in the video card (try to delete all the changes you made)
    Change the settings from within the game itself. If it has an optimizer, run it. It will set all settigns at a conservative value. Then run the test for FPS. The first thing I increase is the resolution. But I use only about 1024x768, or 1280x1024 a veces. (going more does not make much effect in your gameplay, but it will lower the FPS) 1024x768 should be close to the maximum of those cards for good settings. If you think you can see exactly the same amount of info in 800x600 in the game, better yet (there are actually quite a lot of games that I can see no distinsion between 800x600 and 1024x768. run the test again. Then increase antialiasing to 2x. Leave it there. I would not even go over 4x. Also, set the filtering in trilinear.
    Motion blur and particle system can make a game look a lot better, but will have a hit on performance. Dinamic lightning is another. decal stay also will increase the amount of RAM used by the game and the bandwith needed by the video card.
    About the difference in the 2 cards. You are missing the big difference. It does not matter if 1 is AGP and the other PCI-ex. You are compering different levels of card. The 8800 replaced the 7900, and the 8500 replaced the 7500.
    So, yes, the 7900 will have a lot more horsepower to burn.
    Also, you are comparing cards with different shader models. You won't see it in the drivers or the game features. Whatever the 7900 does not support is silently suppresed or disabled. Those features in itself probably are pretty resource intensive, so the 8500 is still processing. If you could disable them it problably would run faster (but still slower then the 7900)
    And a final note. When you say application> what application? I don't think that most users care what their applications FPS are. I would not be happier if Word displays with 20 FPS or with 10. (I would not notice either). Ram, CPU, heat dissipation, Bus system, and hard drive all play important roles when you are pushing a system to its limit (which is what games do).
    And I don't mean to be rude, but if you really want a specific answer, you need to provide more specific questions.
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/F/fps.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate
    are 2 good definitions thought it does not completely cover it all.
    If you are are interested into what affects FPS, I can list it, but it will be long. If you want to know how to improve an specific FPS, let us know in which game, and we can tell you. If you want general guidance, I think I posted quite enough