Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken VGA connector

Broken VGA connector

I am trying to fix a friend's PC. Unfortunately they tried to pull out the monitor cable not realising that it was screwed into the back of the PC. They pulled so hard that they broke of the VGA connector that was attached to the motherboard (GA-K8VM800M).

Now my problem is this:

I have an AGP card (Nvidia Geforce 6200) that I can fit, but I have no way of disabling the onboard graphics as I can not connect a monitor to the machine and the PC will not recognise the new card until I have done so. Seems like a bit of a catch-22 situation. Surely, there is some way of resurrecting this PC?

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Disable your onboard video card from the Device Manager.

Old, Cranky and Perverted Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    The only way to disable that would be in the bios if it's in there at all. But, without any video you can't change anything.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Oh No... i'm sorry to hear.. i think it's definitely catch-22!

Hmm... what you might be able to do is try out a couple different AGP cards... i think some older ones might work in standard VGA mode to display on your monitor...

Else, typically in a BIOS, there is an option which states which display to initialise first [AGP, PCI or OnBoard]... default is usually PCI (from the ones i've seen)... so you might be able to get a really old PCI video card and try that... (don't get a PCI-Express Card)

Otherwise... depending on how Electronic Engineer you are, you could de-solder the VGA plug, solder some little wires and extend the VGA plug away from the mother (hence repairing the connections) and then use your monitor.

OR... I'm sure there would be a cheap motherboard on eBay or TigerDirect... lol, might be a good excuse to upgrade to Core2Duo

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Many thanks for all of the replies, especially cash_site. I had thought of perhaps trying the old PCI card route, just a question of trying to find one. The soldering route was one I was trying to avoid, but may be forced into.

New motherboard, etc, would be nice, but it ain't my machine and they are not willing (or able for that matter) to spend too much.

Thanks again and I'll update the thread when I've made some progress.

Look for local auction house. Old computers routinely show up at local auctions. The box minus monitor often goes for $7 to $10 dollars. The local auction house allows early bids. They will call you if you win.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Some motherboards also had some jumpers on it to disable the onboard video.
    Another thing is that most motherboardss that have an AGP port and onboard video have a AUTO setting. This setting might have been changed to internal to speed up the process, but if you reset the CMOS yo umight be able to get it in AUTO again, and hence, you will have VIDEO in the AGP card. It is definetively worth a try.
    also, very time consuming, but does not require soldering experience is that you might be able to entend the pins, or straighten them out if that is the problem. I had to fix some bent and buried pins from a VGA connector before. I used the smallest needle nose plier that I could find, and it worked enought for the system to boot. In that case I did not even had a PCI slot to use, since it was a server (I almost killed the person that bent the pins)

Quote Originally Posted by Dehcbad25 View Post
    Some motherboards also had some jumpers on it to disable the onboard video.
    Another thing is that most motherboardss that have an AGP port and onboard video have a AUTO setting. This setting might have been changed to internal to speed up the process, but if you reset the CMOS yo umight be able to get it in AUTO again, and hence, you will have VIDEO in the AGP card. It is definetively worth a try.
    also, very time consuming, but does not require soldering experience is that you might be able to entend the pins, or straighten them out if that is the problem. I had to fix some bent and buried pins from a VGA connector before. I used the smallest needle nose plier that I could find, and it worked enought for the system to boot. In that case I did not even had a PCI slot to use, since it was a server (I almost killed the person that bent the pins)
    Finding it difficult to get an old PCI graphics card that isn't PCI-E

Thanks again for all the help. Not sure what you mean by extending the pins. It is not the VGA connector from the lead that is broken, but the connector to the motherboard. Surely you would still need to solder in order to connect it to the motherboard?

May be worthwhile attempting to reset CMOS as a last resort.

On that subject, does anyone have any advice on soldering it back onto the motherboard? What type of wire to use, etc?

Firstly apologies for the delay in following this up (been out of the country and then on my sick bed).

Managed to get hold of two old PCI cards and tried each one in turn, both managed to kick the monitor into life and out of standby (after a bit of a delay), but not with the desired effect. One of them produced a screen that was half black and half purple (nothing else). The other one brought the monitor out of standby, but the screen remained dead.

So my next step was try and reset the CMOS which I did by removing the battery for 5 minutes and then replacing it. I now have the bigger problem that the PC does not kick into life, but the power light just flashes continuously.

HELP? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....presume I may be looking at replacing MOBO.

Hmm... it's weird that the PCI video cards didn't work as well as they should have... Perhaps when the VGA port got damaged, some other circuits were damaged too...

What CPU/RAM do you have, there are plenty of cheap motherboard replacements

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Just thought i would add my imput reguarding the PCI card issue,In the past i had a similar issue where i needed to temporarily use an old PCI card after my AGP card died.When i inserted the card it did kick everything on and out of standby but i had a screen similar to what you describe.The problem was in my case since the PCI cards were rather old the refresh rate wasnt set correctly causing the screen to look very odd with kinda green and purple color and in some cases about 3 desktop screens all crushed on one monitor.Fixing the settings got it running normal although it took some time trying to navigate on a messed up screen.

That's a good idea bhx... Wex, what O/S are you using? Do you need a password to login?

We could give you keyboard shortcut instructions to set a monitor resolutions that would work with your PCI video card (the issue will be driver related now, but I think 640x480 or 800x600 @60 hz will be fine)...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hi, and many thanks for the continued input folks.

It's running windows XP and there is no password required. There is nothing at all visible on the screen though.

I have the rather more urgent problem that the machine is not even booting up now though since I tried to reset the CMOS by removing the battery. The power light just continuously flickers at a fast rate. Surely it is not possible for the battery to have lost power simply by removing it, leaving it out for five minutes and then replacing it....or am I just being naiive?

Sorry for the delay again folks.....did not get a chance to get to the net yesterday and again thanks for your continued input.

Maybe I should just look at getting a replacement for the GA-K8VM800M motherboard.

Hi Wex, so the PCI video card that just gives purple/blue screen, gives solid colors and not just blurry??

OK try this:

1. Turn on computer, let it start up and finish loading for a few minutes (this assumes that it logs directly onto your desktop)
    2. right click the mouse, and then press 'r' (this brings up the display properties box)
    3. Press control+tab 4 times (this changes the tab from 'desktop' to 'settings')
    4. Press Alt+s (to access screen resolution slider)
    5. Press left arrow several times (to reduce the screen resolution)
    6. Press Alt+c (to access Color depth)
    7. Press up arrow several times (to reduce color bits)
    8. Press Enter (to apply changes and close display screen)
    9. Press Alt+F4 (to bring up shutdown menu)
    10. Press u (shutdown computer)
    11. Restart and hopefully the default VGA drivers should be able to display something on screen.

Now, if this doesn't work for any PCI card (have you checked if the cable is not broken?), then yes you might need a replacement motherboard... unfortunately... AMD754 boards are becoming rare... Newegg only had 3 boards http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...07494&name=754

Any of these should work fine with your existing hardware (so for less than $30 its a fair investment)...

Good luck!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---