Thread: NTLDR missing

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

NTLDR missing

I am fixing a personal PC from someone at work. Mainly I am doing it out of curiosity. This PC had 64 MB of RAM, and a 4.75 GB HDD with Windows XP on it. The PC did not boot, but because there was 0.0GB free. I made 233 MB and it booted, so I offered the user to leave the PC with me one more week, since I wanted to try moving the data to another drive.
    Well, fast forward, I used Drive Copy (in italian....why? Heck, I don't know, I don't speak ITALIAN. It should teach me next time 1337)
    Anyhow, the data in the new huge 8GB drive is there. The old drive does not boot anymore, even though BIOS sees it.
    when I try to boot, I get the error that NTLDR is missing, Operative System not found, or sometimes I get no error at all.
    If I use a bootdisc that I downloaded from this page
    http://tinyempire.com/shortnotes/fil...dr_missing.htm
    with first try it boots into Windows (hard drive 0,0,1)
    I think it might be a problem with the jumpers, but this are old maxtor drives. They have those weird J50 jumpers that I never understood (master/single, on off) If you have had those drives, probably know what I mean.
    Anyhow, any help, or suggestion might help me.
    I will check tonight when I get home the model number of the drive to see if I can find some kind of manual somewhere

Most of the time boot problems can just be fixed by running the xp install and do the recovery console, and typing in fixmbr.

Old computers can be frustrating with drives and jumpers, but once you get the hang of em there pretty easy. If memory serves me right, master jumper is for when the drive is plugged into the middle of the ribbon cable, and single is used when on end of the ribbon cable. On and Off i imagine is for when your only using one drive. Most likely you'll want to use master.

google: xp booting repair

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I'm wondering when you did a disk copy if it made the other HD active so now the mbr is confused. I'd do what thraxed said and do a fixmbr or fixboot.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Phis, C'mon, I am surprised I figured you probably already thought I did a fixmbr long time ago
    I did a fix MBR, I went to recovery console and copied the ntdetec.com, boot.ini and ntldr.
    It does sound to me like it does not know what is the first drive.
    As for the Master and Single. Master Drive is for when it is Master (it did not matter the location on the cable, that is for SCSI), and single was so speed up the boot process and stop the scanning in the drive.
    What was confusing about the old Maxtor, is that it rerally does not describe how the jumper needs to be set for this settings to take effect. WD have it printed in the circuit board which option is for what. Seagate has a map on the label. new maxtor also have a map on the label. The old Maxtor had 2 jumpers, and you could use them lateral or transversal. Puttthing the jumpers in different arrangement could make the drive report to the BIOS with 15 heads or 16 heads (useful for booting into really old motherboards)
    About 4 years ago I do remember batling exactlt the same battle (but with Windows 98) until I found a manual that had a very descriptive map for the jumpers.
    Since weekend is coming I guess I have a little more time to check it out.