Thread: Question about expected features on a laptop

Question about expected features on a laptop

I'm looking to buy a laptop, nothing fancy as I will use it mostly for typing and so on.

I'm looking in the sub £400 range, which includes quite as few Dell machines and also some from other places, such as some Fujitsu ones. I was quite impressed to see I can get a dual-core CPU, 2Gb of RAM, 120+GB of disk and a 15.4" screen.

But these sites aren't all that helpful with the features I expect to come as standard, mainly networking and wi-fi. Some laptops specifically advertise it. others don't mention it. Should I be worried or is this so standard that some people just don't bother to advertise it?

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Most, if not all, of the large manufacturers of laptops include built-in wireless and networking.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    from my experience of dells, HP and toshiba. I liked my toshiba the best. yes it doesnt have all the bells and whistles that HP has but it was small, light and very reliable. I am now using a Dell D630 dual core with 2gigs of ram and extended battery and I think it just feels very cheap and its always having issues. that could just be Vista, but overall I liked my Toshiba T42 the best for a work laptop.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    i second phis. I do not use laptops at all, but I support a heck lot of them
    I have an HP, it is pretty good, but was also pretty expensive. 1800 desktop replacement (it is not portable at 18 pounds, and it gets very hot, but I wanted mobility power to scan networks)
    Toshiba are quite nice. My mother has 2 of them and I am surprised both work (one was too slow for her, she has some shopping adiction)
    I don't like dell. I have seen too many problems with them. Acer also seems to be pretty good. IBM were quite durable, but expensive. Sony VAIO are what i recommend to CEO, CFO, and people that travel a lot (I travel with a VAIO and it is an easy conversation point with other VAIO owners, and it allows you to meet people with nice positions worldwide) (VAIO and blackberry are 2 CEO items. I have no clue why, since I hate blackberry, and VAIO are expensive)
    Of course, it will be difficult to buy a IBM or VAIO decent to today standards for 400.
    not all laptops include wifi. Some I have seen with embedded G3 cards, but I have some gateway laptops without wifi. 90% will have the wifi.
    Usually if all the features are not listed, I don't buy, because I don't trust the seller or site.
    Vista will slow you down regardless of the 2GB of RAM or the dual core. And I think 2GB and dual core is pretty standard today for what is offered

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I just recently bought a Compaq V3532 for the equivalent of around £600.

Highlight: Gorgeous 14inch Core2(Santa Rosa) Laptop
    � Intel® Core2 Duo Processor T7100 (1.8GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB) [Santa Rosa]
    � 1024MB DDR2 667MHz Memory (2x512mb) / Upgrade to 2Gb / 4Gb Max
    � Large! 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Disk Drive

� 14.1� WXGA High Definition BrightView Widescreen(1280x800)
    � Up to 251MB Intel X3100 Graphic Accelerator (Vista Compliant)

� Multi-Format Dual Layer Dvd±Writer with
    � Integrated 5-in-1 digital memory reader slot
    � Integrated Bluetooth PAN + 802.11 a/b/g WLAN

� Genuine Microsoft VISTA Home PREMIUM Edition

I am quite keen to get XP on my laptop since I want the memory use and battery life to be as good as they can be, and also I have 10 Vista licenses spare but no XP ones so it's pretty useful.

The two ones I've found so far are Dell's Vostro (1000 or 1500, I can't tell the difference)
    and this: http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx...0,15&InMerch=1

Any thoughts?

One other question... is it common to be able to get car chargers for laptops?

Actually the Vostro 1000 sounds kind of cool. It's using a Turion CPU which I guess is the slowest(?) but I get XP Pro, plus the 9-cell battery with 85Ah for £289... I actually need to spend another £10 to get free p&p (worth about £50).

Does anyone here know anything about this model? I would have picked the 1500 but it won't let me choose which battery I want.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You might also check with CDW to see what they have. I know they also will still ship XP.

They are US... I am in the UK.