Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GeForce 8600GT will not install

Question GeForce 8600GT will not install

Hello everyone I have yet another hardware problem. I just got a GeForce 8600GT, but when I installed the hardware it will not show up in my device manger and when I try to install the software it will close out saying there is no compatible hardware found. There is one problem that shows up. There is a missing Driver called VIA PCI to PCI Bridge controller. I have tried to install it with no luck. But when I plug in a DVI or analog cable to the card I do get a display on the screen but nothing shows up under display under device manager.

There are 2 VIA PCI to PCI Bride control listed under system devices. One is on IRQ 10 and the other is on IRQ 32. The one on IRQ 32 is working fine but the one on IRQ 10 has the error, yellow explanation point. They are pointing to C:\windows\system32\pci.sys for the driver. Also there is another error under IRQ say “There is not another resource available for this to work correctly”

But if I put the 8500 GT GeForce card back into the PCI-E slot it will detect and install without any problems. Also I have try to change my BIOS setting to auto Assigned IRQ of the PCI devices and no to assigned IRQ for the device it made no difference.

The I try to put an old PCI video card into the system and let it boot up and my computer detected it with no problems as well. The in uninstalled the device and completely shut down the computer and swapped out cards in hopes that the 8600 would detect. But that did not work.

Then I try to do a fresh install of Windows XP Pro and the fresh installation did not detect the card. Also I took out all PCI devices (just a sound card) and try installing the card that did not work. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this card to install correctly and detect in device manger? Below is a list of all my hardware I’m using inside of my computer.

Video card
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814136019

Mother board
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PT890T-A-R

RAM
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...DDR26400-ADT-N

CPU
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PD935320775-N

Sound card

http://www.soundblaster.com/products...&product=14189

Case

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...rion534/4.html

This is very very frustrating

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    think you should install the VGA drivers first then install the gforce drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    think you should install the VGA drivers first then install the gforce drivers.
    Which VGA drivers should I load for this?

Why will a 8500 geForce Card load with out any problems and not a 8600GT?
    Last edited by Linedawg; February 6th, 2008 at 17:50 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It sounds like the video driver and your motherboard chipset drivers are in conflict. Check for the newest chipset driver and\or maybe check the video card vendors website to see if they have a hardware compatibility list to see if your MB will even work with that card.

The chipset driver is what runs all that PCI to PCI Bridge and other board level stuff. Essentially it tells Windows what the hardware is and how to use it.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Definitely sounds like a VIA Chipset problem.. look for any Hyperion 4in1 Update chipset drivers... version 5.15a -> http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...D=1&CatID=1070

Then get the latest nvidia drivers 169.21 -> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.21_whql.html

If that all doesn't get it working, then are you able to install the 8600GT into another PC just to make sure it isn't DOA?!

It looks like a great card, nice improvement on the 8500GT, hopefully we can get it working for you

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Found the problem, i send e-mails to very piece of hardware i haves tech support and the makers of the mother board Elitegroup told me this "If your PCIe video card is v2.0, it won't be compatible to this model. The PCIe version on this model is v1.1." So I guess I’m screwed unless I get a new motherboard.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Well at least you got it sorted. Let us know what you do and how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    Well at least you got it sorted. Let us know what you do and how it goes.

Not really, I did some research and found out that the Tech support was wrong. There were trying to tell me that my video card is a PCIe X 16 V2.0 when it is not it is just a PCIe X 16. Everything I was told so far is not checking out. So I’m still looking for a solution on this, because I don’t think they was correct. It was also a one sentence response.

Something else I noticed One of the VIA PCI to PCI Bridge control under the resource tab shows memory Range, I/O range and its IRQ channel. But the second on only shows an IRQ channel. Do you think there could be a problem within the resource settings?
    Because the error I was getting was a code 10 stating it does not have enough resources to run.

Taking the card to work in the morning to see if it works in any other systems.
    Last edited by Linedawg; February 7th, 2008 at 08:45 AM.

LD, when i was looking at the nvidia site, it didnt mention that the 8600GT was PCI-X v2.0 ... (i didn't think it was either, but just needed confirmation)... So it should work in your MB...

Now, Have you tried disconnecting your harddrive, and only having your 8600 installed... are you able to POST, or get into BIOS, or anything? This should test if your BIOS / Chipset will provide VGA mode...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Linedawg View Post
    Then I try to do a fresh install of Windows XP Pro and the fresh installation did not detect the card.
    After you reinstalled XP i presume you then upgraded to SP2 or SP3?

An original XP install will not have the necessary system files/drivers to correctly detect the card.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post

An original XP install will not have the necessary system files/drivers to correctly detect the card.

I will re-install SP2 when I get home today. But I have verified that the card is good and it works. I think there may be a problem with VT8237A chip set. I tried the video card in several different platforms and manufacture each one installed without a problem. I will reinstall it with the video card installed and see what happens. Successful or if it fails ill re-post on this.
    Last edited by Linedawg; February 7th, 2008 at 19:53 PM.

Sorry to hear that's a simple upgrade is turning into a nightmare... Have you overclocked your system, FSB, Memory, PCI bus?

Via seems to have quite a bit of incompatibility or hardware related issues over the years... the infamous Socket A and SoundBlaster saga

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site View Post
    Sorry to hear that's a simple upgrade is turning into a nightmare... Have you overclocked your system, FSB, Memory, PCI bus?

Via seems to have quite a bit of incompatibility or hardware related issues over the years... the infamous Socket A and SoundBlaster saga
    I have not over clocked any setting on the mother board or video card they are as they came out of the box. The worst part was trying to deal with ECS EliteGroup tech support. For the last few day I got general response like “Its broke” “Not our problem” and “Stop contacting us” (No verbatim but in between the lines) I’m going to try to do like Rev said and reload my SP and I’m going to do a bios flash to see the datacode upgrade for VIA fixes the problem. But this is turning into a nightmare almost to the point of buying an new mother board but I have to find one that is a good brand name and compatible with all my hardware if these last rounds of fixes don’t work.

Yeah, that isn't a good response from ECS Elite.. not very professional...

Try flogging that MB on eBay.. and get any Asus or Gigabyte board... P35/X38 is the shizzle!! haha.. I've got the GB P35-DS3R ... it flys and runs everything! That's your best bang for buck.. or head to X38/X48 for DDR3, PCI-X 2.0 and Penryn and Later CPU's QX9770 !!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post

I just tried to do a fresh install and load Windows XP service packs after it was finished. But the same problem is still there. I also try to go to the web site www.ecsusa.com and perform a BIOS flash but each one of the listed BIOS would not work for my model number. I keep getting the error “Wrong BIOS ID”, then I e-mailed the company and asked for confirmation on that these where the correct BIOS that their tech support told me to use and I was assured they where. Sounds like I got a lemon Mother board. I guess the best thing is to return the device and get a new one.