Thread: Laptop very tiny screw problem

Laptop very tiny screw problem

Hey guys,
    Had a question for you all.Today i got in my latest shipment from newegg consisting of a new NEC DVD-/+ RW DL,500GB Sata HDD with Vantec Nexstar3 external enclosure,WD 250GB Internal 2.5" HDD and a few other upgrades and components.Now i began setting everything up and one of the first things i choose to do was remove the old dieing DVD-RW drive and install the new one.Now i notice just how small the screws holding the small bracket on the old drive are and no screwdriver not even a eyeglass kit cant get them out.Was hoping for suggestions as im sure im not the only one to run into this kind of issue.The screws are a very small phillips.two on the side one on the rear of the DVD drive.I managed to get the rear one out but the side two wont budge an inch.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Do you have the exact model number of the NEC drive? Or are you able to find / upload a photo of the screws... it might be that you actually don't need to unscrew them, just slide the whole bracket out...

What Laptop model is it?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hey cash,
    I think you misunderstood me a bit there.The Latop is a Toshiba F-25 AV205,Now the screws are not on the NEC drive.The original drive from the laptop has a small bracket which screws to the drive itself to allow mounting in the laptop.It is connected to the old drive via the small screws and without this bracket i can not install the new drive.

Oh I see, hmm... this might just need simple mechanics.. like, do you have one of the eye-glass phillip screw drivers, or at least one that fits the hole? Doesn't matter if you can't turn it just yet, insert the head into the hole.. then get some locking-pliers and clamp around the mini-screwdriver.... then you should be able to turn the whole-lot with enough torque to loosen the screw

Also, there might be some spray (nut-loose or similar) to buy from the hardware store to squirt near the screws, which seeps into the threads and chemically loosens the bond.

Else.. you might have to break the bracket... then just super-glue it back together

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well heres a bit of an update,after trying everything imaginable short of destroying the old drive i decided to drill out the screw heads and pop the bracket off.It worked like a charm but now i ran smack into another issue.Seems my laptop wont reconize the new burner and keeps giving an error at boot saying "CD-Rom Errror" seems this error is common and caused by the new DVD-RW drive being set to master rather then slave in it's firmware.So far i cant track down a firmware or way to solve the issue.

Haha, great bush mechanic Bhx! Drill, the Hammer, is the universal master key

Hmm... firmware for the DVD drive? I've got no clue on that, and then how would you flash the drive if it doesn't work in your PC?!

Will the NEC drive fit into an external case, then you can USB to your computer, and then perhaps Flash it ?! Goodluck!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

It would fit into an external enclosure if i got one made for slim optical drives.But first im gonna call NEC and make sure they even have a firmware for this issue as this is a new model that newegg just got in and i have yet to find any firmware for it.

EDIT:I got a reply from SonyNEC today in reguarrds to my problem,they sent me a tool that will change the drive from Master to slave however they said i will need to connect the drive to a desktop PC using a "IDE to Slimline adapter" so now i am on the hunt for one of these.I checked over at newegg but looks like they dont carry this.Anyone know where to find them?

http://www.techcase.de:80/popup_image.php?pID=314
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; February 8th, 2008 at 19:13 PM.