Thread: Beware: Bad experience with DirectTV

Thumbs down Beware: Bad experience with DirectTV

I started the thread "Great buys from reputable vendors " with the hope that we could share our GOOD internet purchase experiences. I thought that good companies should be recognized. At the time, I never figured that I would ever find a need to report bad things about a company. This past few weeks have made me change my mind. It is a long sordid story.

I purchased a new 61 in 1080p TV via the net. At the same time I purchased DirecTV satellite service. The tv was a great purchase. DirecTV was not.

I had been a DishNetwork customer since 2000. I figured that it would be a good idea to upgrade all of my satellite equipment. That way I could have DVR service at three locations and HD DVR for the new TV. The cheapest way to accomplished this was to buy new receivers from DirecTV and subscribe to a program package. The tv was shipped via motor freight and arrived in five days (Montana to Arkansas). DirectTV was installed the next day. Now what could you complain about, tv one day satellite the next?

One unit was defective, and could not be activated. It turned out that even though I had paid $99 for that receiver, it was a rebuilt model older 100. Their contract allows them to substitute rebuilt equip even during initial installation. The replacement was a rebuilt model 300. After nearly 2 hours with tech support, local programming could not be activated. This necessitated a service call. The service call was scheduled for this morning.. It didn't happen. After another lengthy call to tech support I find that they made a mistake that they would admit to and stated that my appoint is next week. Assuming that the technician can coax the receiver to life, that will be 18 days since the original installation.

I would recommend that anyone considering satellite for the first time should go with Dish Network.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Time to update this thread. Things got worse before they got better. After seven weeks all equipment was finally working. Two of three receivers were working flawlessly. The HD recorder was experiencing severe audio issues. The sound would clip at random times and for up to 2 minutes at a time.

This problem resulted in numerous calls to tech support. Nothing was really accomplished. I got the feeling that I was being shuffled from one person to another with no hope of resolution.

Then suddenly there was a turnaround. DTV established a program that assigned a specific person to handle persistent issues. My problem was bumped to programmers that were working on a software update to the HD recorder. I was given a direct 800# and pin to call back without having to deal with gatekeepers. I also received two calls from them to state that the problem was being worked. After a couple weeks the audio problem went away. A couple days after that, they called to find out is everything was fixed.

This was a very good recovery for a bad first reaction to DTV. I now have no complaints to their product or service.

A news item today stated that Dish Network had lost their appeal to the DTV (TIVo) patent lawsuite. It went on to say that Dish Network customers might soon lose their abiltiy to record programming. If it happens, that will leave DTV as the only satellite provider offering customers the ability to record and play back programming.

This makes me glad that DTV has improved their customer service.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition