Thread: PSU or Motherboard?

PSU or Motherboard?

Hey guys,
    Having a bit of a very confusing issue here so looking for any suggestions i can get.Heres the deal

I have a custom PC i built a few years ago specs are as follows.
    Antec Lanboy Case
    Antec 450w Neo Power PSU
    ASUS Nforce 2 A7N8X Rev 2.0
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    1GB PC3200 Kingston RAM
    ASUS DVD-RW DL Lightscrive drive
    Main Seagate 80GB HDD
    Slave Maxtor 120GB HDD
    ATI Radeon 9200 128MB AGP 8X Graphics
    ATI TV Wonder VE

Now a while back i had a power outage after the power came back on i discovered everything fuctioned properly except for the fact i could no longer shut the PC down.Whenever i would choose shutdown either in Windows XP Pro SP2 or by using the front panel power switch the system would simply restart rather then shutdown.

A few days ago i took the system apart to try and diagnose the issue.First i completely dissabled the system to clean dust from the case/components then i began testing.Now whenever i attempt to boot the PC the motherboard gets power,I get no error Beep codes yet the power supply seems to be stuck in a reboot cycle.It sounds as if it starts a few seconds then shuts down,then repeats constantly but never booting.

For testing i tryed a Athlon XP 1800+,and various sticks of RAM and another graphics card which are all known as functional.I also tryed clearing the CMOS and removing all uneeded components to attept to get the system to boot without luck.I began thinking perhaps i have a damaged power switch on my case and even went as far as trying a 2nd case i had put away but all ends up with the same results.Last but not least i tryed a 2nd power supply which gave slightly different results.When turning on the power the system would power up a few seconds then shut off completely.

Question is are the chances more of it being i have two bad PSU's (the 2nd PSU hasnt been used in a few years) or my board is going up on me.I hope i was clear in my post as i had alot to say and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thank you
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; February 21st, 2008 at 13:26 PM.

I don't think this involves PSU or MB. I suspect that either your CMOS settings have changed in the Power Management Setup section or that you have a xp issue. For default CMOS settings consult your manual or find it via google. For potential xp issues check here: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    after you check the CMOS like efc said....which I think is the most likely thing. I would boot using a bartpe cd or something like that and shut it down from the bartpe GUI so this way it will bypass your xp install all together.

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the replies.Buts the that the problem.I already tryed clearing the CMOS both by jumper and by removing the cmos battery for a few minutes.After trying both the same issue still happens.When i start the system i get nothing at all on screen not even to post.

No Beeps. That tells me that you probably have one of three problems. A bad PSU, CPUor MB (or both) or a short. The short can be caused by an improperly seated card or cable. It can also be caused by the card shifting on the MB supports or from something dropped into the case.

I know that you would like us to be able to tell you that you can buy a new psu and the problem will go away. Without you being able to swap known good components there is no way for you to know for sure.

My suggestion is to consider purchasing a barebones system like the one linked below. It would give you a substantial performance boost for a little more that you would pay for a high quality psu. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6563&CatId=332

Hey efc,Nah im not looking for a simple definite answer from you only suggestions so i can try to solve the issue.I know that you cant say "yep it's that replace it and it will work" lol

But Heres where i am at this point,I already tryed two different known functional processors so im fairly sure it's not that causing the issue.Now at the moment i have the motherboard out of it's case on a desk while im testing with only the Processor,RAM,HSF,Graphics card and PSU connected.Still the same issue occurs.

I have tryed swapping all main components with known working ones from my 2nd system so im fairly sure now that the issue must be the motherboard or PSU.I seen a decent 450w PSU on newegg so i think i'll just grab it and see how things turn out.

I also tryed removing the CMOS battery and changing the jumpers to "clear" for an hour today and even booting without a CMOS battery just to test and even with no battery everything is still the same.Also rechecked to make sure everything was seated properly.

Thanks for the link efc,actually this Pc not working isnt to much of a problem as i was only using it on my network for extra storage and for guests.But i was just curious to see if i could solve the issue.That barebones system isnt too bad at all but like most of you i would rather build mine up from nothing nothing like a completely custom system.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; February 21st, 2008 at 23:16 PM.

Sounds like you have tried everything. Let us know how the new psu works out.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Have you booted up in Safe Mode to see if it will shut down there? I've not seen hardware cause this problem before that I remember...

nope i didnt try that rik,but now it's impossible because it wont boot at all.Hopefully the new PSU will solve that issue otherwise i might hunt for an old A7N8X to try and get it running.The not being able to shutdown issue i had a feeling might be software related but the system was really due for a good cleaning so i planned to clean it up then put everything back in and fresh install windows to see what happens.But then upon reassembly i ran into the above issue.The PSU has been in almost constant use for a good 5 or so years with little to no rest so it wouldnt suprise me if it died on me.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; February 22nd, 2008 at 04:32 AM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Just a side thought, check the power and reset switch headers on your motherboard, they could be wrong way round (positive/negative terminals etc)... Also, check the case power switch, it might be a 'normally-open' type switch (or simple push button)... so if the computer is On then power is cut, next time you press the power button, it really turns it off, but you want it on... (a little confusing )

But, the real problem is, we don't know how Systems handle power surges or blackouts... Might be a blown capacitor, or shorted pin-out on the cmos... good luck.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---