Thread: ADSL Router drop-out

Question ADSL Router drop-out

Hi All
    I support a small business with 4 Windows PCs (3 of which I built - 2 x AMD, 1 x Intel, plus 1 existing 1 that is Intel). They have for some time now had a weird problem of their internet connection simply dropping out. The problem is easily fixed by resetting the router. However, the frequency is irregular - sometimes 2-3 times a day, sometimes once every week: extremely variable. The router is a Dynalink 4-port router that is plugged into an 8-port switch (the 4 PCs plug into the switch, and there is a cable connecting the switch to the router). We've tested all the internal cabling: all passed 100% ok. We've had the ISP test the line: apparently no probs. We've had a tech test the phone system: apparently no probs. The modem also seems to test ok. We even managed to get the ISP to swap ports at the exchange to see if that would help (which it seemed to at first as the frequency initially dropped off). The other thing that I've had in the back of my mind is that 1 of the 4 PCs is running XP Home, where the other 3 are XP Pro. How probable do you think it is that the XP Home machine is causing intermittent networking problems due to the XP Home "number of PCs on a home network" limitation? (which is 3, isn't it?) I've seriously considered getting the client to upgrade to XP Pro, but I don't want to do that if it is more likely that swapping to a different ADSL router will do the trick. What do you think? I'm also thinking of going to a single ethernet port router instead of 4 (we only went 4 port to start off with as a cheap way of networking, but now that they have 4 PCs, they actually need 5 ports since 1 port is taken up by a security system that needs outside access).

Thoughts and comments?
    Cheers
    Peter

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    personally I would swap out the router. Since the ISP says that the line isnt dirty and I wouldnt think its the cabling since its all 4 pc. If it was the cabling I would suggest swapping the cable from the router to the switch. also you might want to axe the switch and plug all the PC's to the back of the router and see if youre still dropping packets.

IMO I would say the router or switch.

According to your set up.
    I doubt very much if it would be the HOME edition, although i can understand your suspicion.
    Theoretically the HOME edition may have issues being connected to the LAN but it should not directly affect the actual router connection.
    Have you tried running the set up for any period of time without the HOME edition connected? (after hours)
    If the router is set up correctly I honestly can't see how it should make any difference.

I am running the same set up, computer > 8 port switch > 4 port router > internet

The main problem you have is emulating the drop outs, once a week is a tough one.
    I think the answer is either in your router settings or your ISP.

Sorry i can't be of more help, i can understand your frustration.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Thanks to you both for your replies. I'm glad I haven't gone down the "change to XP Pro from Home" route yet: it sounded like a good idea at the time, but I think I was just in "denial" hoping that the router may not be the problem (since I'm going to have to front for the cash to replace the router). But, it sounds like the router is really the prime suspect, so I'm gonna replace that later this week. I'll post back with results (although it will be a couple of weeks before I can tell for sure).
    Thanks again.