Thread: Linux box wins hacker competition

Linux box wins hacker competition

Recent hacker competition at the CanSecWest conference resulted in the Linux box being declared the winner. The competition provided a $20,000 prize to the first to hack one of three machines. One was running Vista, a second a MacAirBook, and the third a Linux box. The Mac was hacked after 2 minutes. The Vista machine was defeated in two hours. The Linux machine was not breached.

more
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I dont really call that a win on Vista. The reason he went for Vista is because he is familiar with the OS but Java is cross-platfrom so it means this exploit is on all 3 systems. Which is pretty messed up. I guess thats why everyone hates Java.

This provides a little more information about the contest. http://www.crn.com/security/207000791
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...1/article.html <----what an idiot

Ok, well i read around and it seems to be about half and half it was a java exploit or a adobe flash exploit. Pcworld even reported saying java and then in this they say adobe. I really wouldnt mind knowing which.

Exploit is adobe but java is leveraged to get around some security features added in Vista SP1. The chompers said that with a couple of hours faffing around it would work on Ubuntu or any other linux too.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?