Thread: Can't delete folder on thumb drive

Bronze Member

Can't delete folder on thumb drive

I have a thumb drive in which I back up some of my work files. Recently, I tried to delete a folder from the drive and I keep getting the same message over and over again, which is in a dialogue box,

“Error Deleting File or Folder
    Cannot delete SO2: - Cannot find the specified file
    Make sure you specify the correct file and path name.”

(Note: S02 is a file within the folder, the message refers to the file within the folder not the folder itself)

Based on this error message it is as if the file/folder I am trying to delete is not there, or not seen by the computer (Windows XP), but is clearly there. I can rename it (and I changed the name to “Delete this”) and when I check “Properties” it shows as being 512K in size. I tried a virus scan on it (Kapersky) and nothing registered.

I’ve deleted and created several folders on this thumb drive and never had a problem before.

I’ve yanked out the thumb drive and restarted Windows XP and put the thumb drive back in and I get the same message.

Simply, why does Windows tell me the file doesn’t exist and cannot delete it when it is there? And how do I get rid of it.

Oh, the folder I am trying to delete contains some PDF files, but are not recognized as such, they have that generic windows icon.

Thanks in advance
    Halder

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Have you tried reformatting it?

Bronze Member
    No, I haven't done that, but I will. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    thanks again, Conan.

Bronze Member

Fixed it

I copied over all the files from the thumb drive that I wanted to keep onto a folder on mydesktop and left the bad file behind. Then I reformatted the thumdrive and "presto" file all gone.

Thanks again Conan, I really appreciate your help.
    Halder