Thread: Playing PS2 on a LCD monitor

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Playing PS2 on a LCD monitor

I have 4 LCD monitors, (all 17") but I don't have a working TV, so I was thinking about buying a TV tuner card to play the games using the monitor.
    Does anyone have a recommendation?
    I also found this one
    KWorld TVBox 1680ex Supports to 1680x1050 LCD w/YPbPr 1080i Signal input TV Box - Retail
    thought it seems not too many people is happy with the quality.
    I know some of the TZ vet have used it, so if you can throw a fellow TZ member a tip or two about TV tunners (for console gaming) I will appreciate it.

My son has that unit. He purchased it a little over a year ago. After several setup attempts, he shelved it. Never succeeded in getting it to work properly.

I suspect that he ran into some hardware incompatibilities. Also he was disappointed with the image on a 32 inch TV/monitor. It was fuzzy.

Regardless, I think that I would go with a little higher end item. This one provides high enough resolution to make sure that you get a clear image even if you later decide to go with a much larger monitor. The specs indicate it is appropriate for monitors up to 37 inches.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...607&CatId=1430

If you buy it from TigerDirect, they will let you return it within 30 days. They have a no-hassle return policy (you do have to follow their time limits and procedures). Tiger remains my first choice for new purchases.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I agree, that box looks much better for just a bit more money.
    What I am a bit torn is that if I can find a good TV tuner card for the PC that will allow me to play, and record stuff will be great. Though I love the idea of not having to have a PC close to it (but I want to put it in my room, where I have already 2 PCs )
    I currently have a Hauppauge card that came with a HP (but I don't have the HP) and for some reason the card never worked.

I got that converter from Tigerdirect. I will report on the quality as soon as I receive it.

I have played with it the last 2 days. I have barely read the manual, so it is easy enough to figure it out.
    The quality is a bit blurry, mainly when I compare to stuff from the PC, but it is OK considering I can use my monitor as a TV.
    It is not a replacement for a HD TV, but it does a good job for the price. Overrral I am happy with it.
    PS: It is quite a tiny and lightweight device. The TigetDirect box was huge, the product box was big too, but the device itself is small. It includes all cables to connect, including for PS2/3, Wii, composite, and AV/S-video. However only 1 dongle can be connected at a time. I use an AV selector so it is not a problem for me. I will try the PinP later
    Last edited by Dehcbad25; April 23rd, 2008 at 13:42 PM. Reason: added more info

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Good to hear you got it working Dehc, that's a nice little setup, what resolution do you play on? only 800x600?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

1280x1024, but I did not see any change in lower resolutions

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dehcbad25 View Post
    1280x1024, but I did not see any change in lower resolutions
    "22. At what resolution does most PS2 games run at?

Most of them run at 640 x 448 interlaced. Unless you have a HDTV, you won't get a much higher resolution than that. "

" 23. Which PS2 games are capable of progressive-scan output?

Gran Turismo 4, Tekken 4, SOCOM US Navy Seals, SOCOM II, Jak II, Burnout 2, Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, Jak III, and many others. Remember that progressive-scan must be put in by the programmers, so not all games have it. Many game companies feel that not enough people own HDTV's, so don't bother with progressive-scan. Update: Progressive-scan is finally becoming more and more common in PlayStation 2 games. "

http://www.playstationpro2.com/ps2faq.html

I will play with the settings in the PS2 and with some games to see if the resolution increases.
    I mainly play with the gamecube. I am trying to finish X-Men legends, and redo the Resident Evil games, but I have Tekken 4 for the PS2 as well. I just don't have the Progresive Scan cables, so I wonder if the system would let me activate it.
    I will test it this weekend if I stay home. Sometimes I go out partying with my brother and I don't go back home since I leave so far away from all the fun places