Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Request to Denyse

Request to Denyse

With your expertise, would you consider a series of posts to help us amateurs in taking better pictures. I could envision the series including: choosing the right camera (based on various budgets), setting up shots and maybe even post-processing tips.

I know that I have a good camera, yet I take 50 or more poor quality shots for every good one. I am sure that we have other members that would also appreciate your advice.

I tried to make this request via PM only to find that you have chosen not to receive them. That restricted me to this public request. The good thing is that it gives others a chance to add their encouragement.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I'm also trying to get more involved in photography. I just recently got a Canon Powershot G9:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082005canong9.asp

Previously I was using an Olympus 4mp camera but it was very user unfriendly. I would also like to learn to take better pictures.

Here is a photo contest every month. The Prize is a $25 gift certificate from Amazon.com. This one just started. upload 3 photo's quickly.

http://www.proudphotography.com/foru...ead.php?t=1273

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I can also help since I dabbled in the am. pro. photography for awhile. and EFC 1 outta 50 shots is not bad. when I was taking pictures for myself I might get 1-4 good shots for every roll. so dont feel bad just shows that youre thinking about the shots more than just a snapshot.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    While we wait for Denyse why don't you post an example of "poor quality". I'll tell you what is wrong and how to fix it.

@Conan, thats a real nice PS camera

BTW, one of the best photo's I've seen is the one of an old cabin in the woods, phishhead took that photo on a hiking trip

heres a bad one

and heres the one you were talking about fastgame.

and...

heres some more http://techzonez.com/forums/showthre...light=yosemite

What camera did you use Phish?

for my good pictures I use 35mm canon elan IIe on a bogen tripod. http://photo.net/equipment/canon/canon-elanII
    pretty old camera, but I use a handheld light meter and use the camera in manual mode.try to use lower speed film and lower speed on the camera to get a high fstop. then for my point and shoot pictures I use my digital panasonic lumix with leica glass. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1206141947635
    thats the problem with these compact point and shoot is that the companies skimp on the glass so the best picture is only as good as the lens the camera has.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame View Post
    While we wait for Denyse why don't you post an example of "poor quality". I'll tell you what is wrong and how to fix it.
    heres a bad one of mine.

dont be shy cause I have some thoughts about it.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Well the #1 sin (easy to fix in PS) is jet trail in the sky.

The photo looks like a good snapshot, you were at a certain place at a certain time and said I like this so I'll take a picture, the lighting wasn't the best at that time of day (all the shadows) but you captured the moment as it was.

If I were to take that shot I would have used the cameras spot meter on the green pine tree's or maybe up on the mountain to the right for exposure, that might have lessened the shadows. I would have taken multiple shots, metering on different areas. You could have moved up in the valley (past the little tree's on the left) and framed the shot a little more to the left.

BTW, I'm viewing the photo on an LCD that isn't calibrated for photo's.....maybe the pic isn't as bad (shadow wise) as I'm seeing ?????

If a Pro wanted that shot they would been in the area at the right time of day for better exposure, and taken multiple shots from different angles.

Other than that it looks like a good snapshot, nothing to make me throw it in the bin

Here's a few pics that I took with my new Canon on full automatic settings:

Spotted a bee (or what looks to be a bee) on this flower:

My bantam chickens:

I have not been successful in including an image in a post. Will someone take the time to lead me through the process?

resize it to 800 x 600 pixels first.

You have to use an image host. I use www.imageshack.us
    register there. upload your picture there. copy and paste the link for forums that has [img]on the front of the link text and [/img] on the end. paste it here.
    Last edited by veronica; May 9th, 2008 at 00:37 AM. Reason: added to it

so EFC it would look like this [img ]http://img231.imageshack.us/myimage.jpg [/img] when you post it. the first bracket has a space so that I can show you the code only.

Lets try it. Here are a few shots that I liked.

Taken from 15 feet above the subject

First meal of the day

Last edited by efc; May 9th, 2008 at 04:50 AM.