Thread: On wakeup, XP tells lme I have 3 or 4 or 5...whatever...programs running but how do I

On wakeup, XP tells lme I have 3 or 4 or 5...whatever...programs running but how do I

know for sure which are running? And what exactly is "running"? Does it = "open"? My understanding that programs can be a "wee bit" open as opposed to "fully" open. Can some kind soul clarify all this.
    =============

The last time I got a msg like this, I had my firewall in the taskbar. In the systray, I had the following programs.

79 (this is the Weatherbug measured temp.)
    My Vital Agent
    Urlybird
    Popup Killer
    McAfee VirusScan
    InCd (Packetwriting software...was presintalled.)
    Sound Effects Manager
    the clock
    And oh yes, a little icon, a gift from XP, called "Safely Remove hardware."

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    79 (this is the Weatherbug measured temp.)
    My Vital Agent
    Urlybird
    these are the ones that are probably running. if you don't want things to run in the background just type MSCONFIG and go to the start up tab and uncheck those.

Use Task Manager to see what is running on your system.

Right click in the task bar>left click Task Manager>Applications tab. This will show you the running apps.. Now select the Processes Tab to see what is lurking in the background.