Thread: Uninstalling a graphics card killed my mouse??

Uninstalling a graphics card killed my mouse??

I have been installing new graphics cards and I wanted to update my drivers. I used the control panel to uninstall the NVidia driver with their own uninstaller and when I rebooted, the computer had the usual fat screen graphics and it found the new hardware etc.
    My mouse won't work now. The cursor is in the center of the screen motionless in any mode, safe or not.
    Not in USB mode, not with the PS2 adapter, not a spare mouse in either mode either. It's as if the mother board dumped its ability to read a mouse and keyboard.
    What could Nvidia possibly do to a simple pointing device??

Keyboard down too.

I just went back to the computer and the screen saver was playing. I tapped the keyboard and it didn't wake up. I can't get a test keyboard to open the start menu with the windows key either. I'l wait for the screen saver to start up to confirm no keyboard.

I wonder is this mobo taking her swan song. Maybe my video card problems were really mobo problems.

Rut Ro, Raggy.

Gotta take action.

I've been walking around the yard thinking that I should just dump her out and start over.

This is a real Catch-22- I have to have a mouse to install a fix and I can't have a mouse if I go anywhere near Windows.

There's no shame in rolling over and clean starting is there?

It's like the Win98 days again.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    one thing to do is to see if you can get into the computers bios usually delete or f10 or something during boot. if you can get into the bios you should check to see what your usb options are if you are using usb mouse and keyboard

there should also be settings related to a plug and play OS operating system. You should change the setting to yes or no depending on it's current state.

if all else fails you can restore the bios to factory default settings and usually that will spark windows to smarten up.

you mention that the computer still goes into screen saver mode so that rules out any frozen operating system problem.

not working in safe mode suggests a computer component problem since safe mode will not load any drivers.

Good luck
    Last edited by egghead; May 25th, 2008 at 20:02 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Wen safe mode didn't work I knew I was screwed. The problem came DIRECTLY after I uninstalled NVidia. I'm thinking it tore my s*** up.

I ordered to hard drives for the lower bay. I'l replace the hard drive and reload windows. The old one can go in teh bottom for a backup and I'll just get my files from there. Not a huge deal but I wanted to do some gaming while I was off.