Thread: My MSIE 6 SP1 History information is missing.

My MSIE 6 SP1 History information is missing.

Hello:

My MSIE history information is missing.

To be more precise only most of it is missing. See below.

I should note I am using Windows XP.

If online, I click on View > Explorer Bar > History, the history window pops up on the left side of my monitor. Of the options I see when I click on the "view" in THAT window: viz. "by date, by site, by most visited, by order visited today", the only one that lists any sites (when it is bulleted) is "by most visited.". If I bullet "by date" 'Monday' appears but shows no sites, though I've visited several on that Monday, and today (for me, Oct. 1) well there's no "Tuesday' even though I've visited several sites today. If I right click 'Monday' and click 'expand' nothing happens. "By site' and "By order visited today" also results in nothing happening.

OK. Microsoft suggested in Q318378 "How to reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP" that I could reinstall IE 6 of which the latest V. is IE 6 SP1. (First I had to go into the registry and get to "IsInstalled (Reg_Dword) and change its value from 1 to 0); then download IE 6 SP1 and install it and reboot. BUT THAT DID NOT CORRECT THE PROBLEM.

The same Q article had directions for reinstalling XP. Think I should try that? Or what?

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Firstly go to Tools > Internet options.On the Advanced Tab make sure "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" is not ticked.

Secondly,are you running any Antivirus software?
    Possibly MacAfee Viruscan.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Followup re Answer to question about my MSIE History folders being empty or missing

OK, Reverend!!

Thanks for telling me how to reply with a followup. Now, if I should want to reply tro a followup but not immediately, say the next day, to get back to the original letter and reply, do I use get to the same forum and then type in my original tritle lin the search box?

Interesting you chose the name "Reverend". At least to me. My father was a minister back in the 1920's and 1930's, Episcopalian and was often addressed as "Reverend." He was born in England, in Yorkshire I think.

Well, re your reply. The "Empty temporary internet Files Folder when browser is closed" was NOT checked.

Also I am running McAfee antivirus software...VirusScan 6.0 or 6.something. Do I get rid of it or is lthere something less drastic I can do? Does it always screw up MSIE history folders or only sometimes?

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

To follow up a reply,just follow the link that got you here.
    Click on the forum that you posted your thread in, "Windows NT4/2000/XP" and then locate your thread title in the list.Click on the title's link and it will bring you here.Add your reply as previously explained.

To answer your original question,try this solution which i located on another site.
    I can't verify it works because i don't use VirusScan 6 myself,but i know it has worked for others.

Open VirusScan 6 from the system tray (bottom right corner), on the lower left of the window choose "pick a task".
    Next choose "change my virus scan settings".
    Then "configure V-shield background scanning".
    At the bottom "customize your V-shield settings" now on the left of the window choose "internet filter".
    Now under applet filters,uncheck the entry "active X controls" hit apply and close.Your history will now work as normal.

My MSIE History folders are empty or missing

Reverend:

Well, I following your instructions re McAfee VirusScan 6.x and now my MSIE History folders are working as they should.

Many thanks.

John

Unhappy Same History problem, WinME, diff anti-virus, hmmmm

Wow, have the same thing, History Window is blank except when choosing Most Visited view. Have tried deleting History folder, Repairing IE 6 install, tried again in safe mode.

Don't have that anti-virus, am using AVG Free. Don't think it interferes with ActiveX control for History.

Actuall, don't understand and some insight would be appreciated. What did changing that setting on the other anti-virus have to do with History not showing properly anyway (and how might I fix it for mine?)?

Try this

Go to Start > Run. Type REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL and hit enter.A "succeeded" confirmation box will then appear.

Try the history view now.
    Last edited by Reverend; April 15th, 2005 at 20:56 PM.

Smile oops, too late to try, maybe someone else?

Thank you for your idea, and such a prompt response. Still don't understand why or what was wrong.

(since the post was so old, I didn't figure on an answer anytime soon)

So, I went ahead and tried some more, instead of repair IE 6, I tried uninstall. Well, then IE5 would blow up with mshtml.dll error and MS kb articles on that were not helping. Sooo, I just used System Restore to return the Windows ME to the way it was a few weeks ago, and bing, History fixed. (reapplied this weeks hotfix and AVG a-v update, done)

I was troubled/surprized that a Google search and microsoft newsgroup search for IE History blank was not finding anything on point except this old post. Hopefully I don't have reason to try your fix, but hopefully if anyone else does that will do it. (hey you , if it worked please let us know by answering)

Thank you for your idea, and such a prompt response. Still don't understand why or what was wrong.

(since the post was so old, I didn't figure on an answer anytime soon)

So, I went ahead and tried some more, instead of repair IE 6, I tried uninstall. Well, then IE5 would blow up with mshtml.dll error and MS kb articles on that were not helping. Sooo, I just used System Restore to return the Windows ME to the way it was a few weeks ago, and bing, History fixed. (reapplied this weeks hotfix and AVG a-v update, done)

I was troubled/surprized that a Google search and microsoft newsgroup search for IE History blank was not finding anything on point except this old post. Hopefully I don't have reason to try your fix, but hopefully if anyone else does that will do it. (hey you , if it worked please let us know by answering)
    i experienced the same problems you had with the missing History ("by date", "by site"). but i was able to solve the problem by deleting the corrupt temporary internet files folder and History folder. but Windows will not allow you to delete these files. you have to shut down your computer first and use a boot up disk to go into MS-DOS mode (instead of Windows).

then find the history folder and temp internet folder in drive c: and delete em.

here's how i did it.

1) at the DOS prompt, enter C: to go to the c: drive
    2) type "cd windows" (note: this is for Win ME)
    3) type "deltree tempor~1" and select Yes. And type "deltree history", then select yes.
    4) restart your computer.