Thread: XP to Vista home w/D-link614

Bronze Member

XP to Vista home w/D-link614

Hello, I can't seem to get my laptop (dv6853cl) to connect to my router. My desktop is XP pro but the options available for connection differs. Such as on the laptop there is the options of: shared, WPA2-personal, WPA-personal, WPA2-enterprise, WPA-enterprise, 802.1x

My router only offers:

I tried all options but none seem to work other than running unsecured.

Thanks for help.

BTW, is the laptop any good for the price? I have 90 days to return it.
    Last edited by usergame; June 18th, 2008 at 16:51 PM. Reason: topic should be "router woes"
    lynchknot's altered ego

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    seems like a nice little lappy there lynch. I would remove all the norton crap...reboot and try again. had the same issue with my pops laptop when he came down. couldnt connect to my wireless. I removed norton and BLAMO...online and surfing.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    some possible solutions here: no WPA-PSK with windows vista

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    thanks guys. there are 3 keys in the registry. How am I supposed to know which is the corresponding GUID?
    Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
    In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.
    lynchknot's altered ego

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    OK, a couple of good advices from a person that used to troubleshoot wireless in Hotels for Europe
    disable IPv6 on Vista. It is suppoused to work, but we used to have problems with the wireless that only worked after disabling IPv6. Since in Vista is just a check mark, you can easily disable it and re-enable it after you get your connection working (if you want)
    Remove channel scan: channel scan helps when there is interfarence in the house, but unless your client can recognize the channel jumping, it is better to disable it. Again, you can do this to get the connection working and later you can re-enable it if you want.
    Third party firewalls disabled: I use ZoneAlarm, and believe it or not, it blocks DNS request to my router, hence I have internet connection, but I cannot surf While you are trying to connect to the router disable all firewalls just to be in the safe side (you have Norton included with the laptop), Later on, after you know your connection is working enable the firewall and check the log to see what is blocking. I usually add the router's IP address to the allowed list.
    You can also start with Shared Key, that is WEP.

Bronze Member
    I set my router with WPA-PSK and passphrase and my laptop shows that it is a "security enabled network" but when I hover over the network the balloon says that it's unsecured and won't let me connect. I tried reloading the dialog but it does not change.
    lynchknot's altered ego

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Try shared key first, and I still insist on disabling IPv6

Bronze Member
    Thanks for the help. I decided to get a new router and it is working well.
    lynchknot's altered ego

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Rockin. Hi LK!

Bronze Member
    Hi rik. I decided to get a linksys wireless N router and now it won't work. The linksys gives an encrypted key but the laptop asks for a network security key. I tried entering the encrypted key but it won't work. I also tried going the USB route and that won't work either. Sheesh.

Well, the laptop (vista) connects but the other XP desktop will not, using the cable method - strange.....
    Last edited by usergame; July 2nd, 2008 at 19:00 PM.
    lynchknot's altered ego

Bronze Member
    I'm wondering why my laptop sometimes will lose connection even though it says it's connected to local and internet. Sometimes it will only connect to one torrent and not at all through a browser. I tried to "diagnose" and it would say it could not connect to primary server. Rebooting both router and modem seems to work but what's really going on?
    lynchknot's altered ego