Thread: Streamlining Vista

Bronze Member

Streamlining Vista

Is there a program available like TWEAK XP that will allow me to tweak Vista or streamline it.

Similarly, is there a guide or set of instructions to streamline Vista. I recall that with XP there was a guide that recommended disabling a series of programs/operations through System Services which were not really needed which allowed XP to run faster.

Thanks in advance
    Halder

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    How to streamline Vista? Downgrade back to XP!

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Aint that the truth. as soon as I'm done studying for my microsoft MCITP cert gonna re-image this laptop with XP again.

Bronze Member
    Blackviper's site has a reg file generator tool for vista - though I have found Vista runs great in my new laptop - but then, my laptop is four times the computer my desktop is.
    Last edited by usergame; June 30th, 2008 at 22:35 PM.
    lynchknot's altered ego

Bronze Member
    I have XP on one PC and Vista on the newer system. When I asked the retailer to load XP and not Vista on my new system they said they couldn't do that. Believe me if I could have purchased XP I would have.

Vista is so problem prone and the compatibility issues!!!!

Well thanks all
    Halder

Bronze Member
    Honestly, I am seeing nothing wrong with Vista. It's 64 but runs 32 applications as well (and seemingly faster) as my XP desktop
    lynchknot's altered ego

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    LK I bet if you took an image of your vista install then wiped it and installed xp it would be alot faster.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    vLite is a streamlined Vista install, created by a member of msfn.org. MS advises against it, but it's there. Tweak VI is a subscription-based 3rd-party app designed to fill the Tweak UI void. XdN Tweaker is a freeware Vista tweaker. Search http://shellcity.net/ for others.

Then there the old standbys: X-Setup, jv16. With the exception of vLite, I use all the above.

As to Vista, I'm with LK. My install is 32-bit, but faster and more elegant than using XP.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usergame View Post
    Honestly, I am seeing nothing wrong with Vista. It's 64 but runs 32 applications as well (and seemingly faster) as my XP desktop
    I have to agree. No problems at all with anything that I have tried to run so far....

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PIPER View Post
    I have to agree. No problems at all with anything that I have tried to run so far....
    Same here, no problems with Vista but I wouldn't venture to say that it's faster than XP maybe a bit slower.

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    LK I bet if you took an image of your vista install then wiped it and installed xp it would be alot faster.

I like eye-candy so it may be worth the few tenths of a second in response time. I suppose if I set to "best performance" rather than "let windows decide" it may shave some time off.

http://translate.google.com/translat...ial%26hs%3DwDq

http://www.yamicsoft.com/vistamanager/index.html
    Last edited by usergame; July 13th, 2008 at 01:14 AM.
    lynchknot's altered ego

http://www.yamicsoft.com/vistamanager/index.html

usergame hit it on the nail.. its a must for vista/xp

xpmanager works great for xp as well.