Thread: Another try with Ubuntu

Another try with Ubuntu

Decided to try Ubuntu again. Downloaded and installed the latest Ubuntu with the intent to use it at least two weeks, regardless of my experience with it.

As my signature shows, my primary Linux distro is Xandros 4.01 Home Premium. It is not a free distribution. I found it for $55 including shipping. The premium edition come with a software cd and a good manual. That edition also includes a security suite. The license allows you to install it on multiple computers.

Now back to Ubuntu. Like all Linux distros, Ubuntu is getting better with each release. I can recommend it to those that want to try linux. I do not however think that it is superior to Xandros.

1. Ubuntu utilizes GNOME desktop. I have never been fond of GNOME. While it does everything that you need to do, it just doesn't fit my personality. I find KDE to be a cleaner and more efficient environment. I could have downloaded Kubuntu which does utilize KDE however I didn't think of that until after I had completed the Ubuntu download and had burned the iso to a CD.

2. Ubuntu had trouble identifying my hardware and then installing the proper driver. I also found that Ubuntu experienced trouble with my network at boot. I have a minimum of four computers and a PS3 on the network at all times. On occasion the number increases. Three of those computers are located at my work station. The other computer and the PS3 are located next door at my son's house. The three computers at my location share a monitor, keyboard and mouse via a Zonet 4 port KVM switch. One uses XP while the other two run Xandros Version 4. It is my practice to start all three of these computers at once. This has never caused me any problems while running Xandros.

With Ubuntu graphics would be set to 800 x 600 unless the KVM was set to that specific computer. I would have to go into the control section each time and reset the graphics.

3. I made it a point to install packages (software) that was not in the initial Ubuntu install. This process worked better than any distro that I have tested other than Xandros.

4. Ubuntu did identify my network printer on the first attempt and then loaded the proper driver. With Xandros I have always had to install that driver manually.

So what is my final opinion. I agree with the many writers that have praised recent Ubuntu releases. It is a solid performer. I do not however, agree with some of the hype that contends that it is superior to all other distros. Ubuntu is free. Most would not consider paying for Linux when it is available free. Try it!
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Ubuntu has probably the best user-community support than any other distro. I've been an Ubuntu user for years - pretty much from the start.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I have tried a few distros but have found that Suse and Fedora Core tend to support my older hardware better than Ubuntu does.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    just installed ubuntu 8.04 on my dell laptop and it picked up all of my drivers and had no problems with windows network shares and printers. I am quite impressed with this release. I've been able to do just about anything I could on my xp or vista installs.

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    I have tried a few distros but have found that Suse and Fedora Core tend to support my older hardware better than Ubuntu does.
    rik, for those that are still afraid to make a commitment. The perfect time to try linux is when you buy a new computer. No I am not suggesting that you buy a linux computer instead of a Windows PC. I am suggesting that you install linux on the old machine.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Agreed