Thread: Why does Firefox retain history??

Bronze Member

Why does Firefox retain history??

Just recently I almost caught a virus off a website but Kapersky stopped it before it could infect my computer. In a panic I shut down Firefox quickly. Later when I restarted Firefox it gave me a dialog box message saying "Firefox shut down....do you want to restore the previous session or start a new session".

Not thinking, I choose "restore previous session" and Firefox took me right back to the offending website.

Two questions here;

1. Despite cleaning my system with CCleaner, how did Firefox know to take me back to the previous session (website), is the info stored somewhere, where CCleaner couldn't get at it??

2. How do I, if I can, disable this choice that Firefox gives me to restore or start a new session if it shuts down unexpectedly.

thanks in advance
    Halder

Both Ccleaner and Firefox allow you to control the type of information is deleted during the cleaning operation. The Firefox default is to retain history items for 9 days. You can adjust that time or you can choose to retain no history on shutdown.

To fine tune the items deleted on shutdown, go to Tools>Options>Privacy> "Private Data" Settings.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Bronze Member

thanks EFC

Thanks for the info, I guess what I need to remember is that when I upgrade Firefox I should check these settings because they could reset themselves after a major upgrade.

Halder

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Halder have you ever had like 2 dozen tabs open and your pc or browser hangs? I for one like that feature.