Thread: No life from laptop, not even power light

No life from laptop, not even power light

My friend gave me a Dell Latitude D510 to take a look at. There is no power light on or any activity at all when the AC adapter is plugged in (also nothing with just battery which I assume is flat).

She says there was no warning signs and one day it just stopped working. Dell told her that she will need a new motherboard (in which case it is basically written off). I have read elsewhere that there is a known problem with this model involving a flaw with power jack resulting in the need for a new motherboard.

Does anybody else have any suggestions please?

Thanks.

This sounds like a rik question to me.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    This sounds like a rik question to me.
    What he said. Great minds think alike.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

OK, many thanks for the link. I live in Ireland so may try and find someone closer to home who offers such a service (or maybe even attempt the repair myself). Anything has to be preferable to the new MOBO option suggested by DELL.

Thanks again.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Yeah you have to be careful with the power adapter jacks. They only have 2 solder joints and are easily damaged. You could possibly get a replacement motherboard for cheap over there.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I suspect the laptop is not covered by warranty, right?
    Dell usually is pretty good sending replacements when the PC is covered.
    If you are brave, you can open the laptop and see if the power jack is still soldered to the motherboard. If it broke, then you can use like cables to make a jumper and remove the power jack from inside the laptop. Not the most beautiful of solutions, but with motherboards you need to be careful when soldering since they might be multilayered. A bridge cable will be easy and fast to solder, and it will be flexible to avoid the problem in the future

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    This seems to be a common issue with the earlier Latitude series. We have a couple thousand D620/630 in the office, and they probably go through 3-5 every day/week replacing motherboards due to busted power jacks. We're just lucky that it doesn't wreck the HD, so we just swap laptops :-)

I'd definitely buy extended warranty on Dell Laptops

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Did you sort this out and was it the mobo? Did you have it repaired, or replace the affected part?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger View Post
    Did you sort this out and was it the mobo? Did you have it repaired, or replace the affected part?
    Apologies, not been on here in a while. It did turn out to be the powerjack connection to the motherboard. The owner decided to go down the new laptop route anyway.

Many thanks for all of your help.