Thread: Confused by Outlook Contacts

Confused by Outlook Contacts

I have always been confused by Outlooks contact management. If I reply to emails, it normally seems to know about the email address from the first couple of letters. But if I look in my address book, none of these are there.

Do I have to explicitly add any email I need? Or are there multiple address books?

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Outlook "remembers" recent and frequently used email addresses. You can disable that in the settings.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

The feature is called friendly names and is not officially supported (i.e you can't get help with it) and is seperate from the 'contacts'/'Address book'. They are stored in an nk2 file in the users profile (%username%.nk2) - incidentally if you copy the file to a new computer you must make sure that the %username% variable matches the new profile, it's one of the features people most like - but as I said it is officially unsupported.

The curious can find more useful info here http://www.outlookexchange.com/Artic.../a7_nkedit.asp
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    thanks curio was wondering how to transfer that to laptops after I re-image them. I just tell my users that they will have to re-type the email addresses once then OL will remember them after that.