Thread: Printing affecting internet connectivity

Printing affecting internet connectivity

After printing to a physical printer (PDF print driver did not have any effect) internet connectivity gets erratic and sometimes just fails. Reboot will correct it but printing again makes the problem return.

First thing I did was uninstall/reinstall the printer driver with no change in the behavior and then the user let me know she had two printers and printing to either one caused this behavior.

I plan on reinstalling the NIC driver but I was remoted in to the machine so that wasn't an option the first time around.

I've never seen this behavior before. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I will be physically at the machine soon so I thought I should check in for some input.

Thanks in advance for anything you have to offer.

Maybe disabling file & print-sharing in the network connection, if its not needed. Or maybe just to test to see if its the problem.

Well, the user dropped off the box and when doing so she said that she could not even get the computer to boot up anymore. I told her to settle down and let me look at it before she considered it gone.

I checked power cord and opened it up to re-seat the power supply connector to the motherboard and when doing so I noticed two bulging capacitors on the motherboard. :-( I don't know how that could have been affecting the printing/internet connectivity matter but it needs to be addressed first.

Needless to say the printing problem has been put on hold.

Thanks for the suggestion though and if I give it a shot I'll post back with the results.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Flaky power issues can cause many "odd" things to happen.

yeah, especially if it has to do with motherboard issues. The most likely cause is that drop that the pc suffered. I would suggest to see if any other parts of the computer are loose. is the NIC onboard or PCI ? Could it be not seated right ? Also... how about setting the printer as an IP printer ? does that resolve the issue ? It could be that the motherboard circuits have messed up there but if you can network print. or maybe a USB connector ? Many options for installing a printer Check one of these could work, and if so then you know the connector is fried.
    Last edited by fezzy; September 30th, 2008 at 20:57 PM.
    Remember to smile, while the world crumbles.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I have also seen weird issues when the users have a lot of printers, mainly if they are not connected. I remember I had a user that had several "weird" issues, so I deleted all the printers but the 2 he used and he never had the issue again.
    Another issue that I run into was a computer that would restart when the user needed to print. That I think it was caused by a conflict of I/O in the USB ports. I deleted all the printers, re-installed the drivers and connected the printers again (switched the USB ports to force detection as well) and then the problem was fixed.