Thread: no audio device following virus

no audio device following virus

I had win32/agent.pz but finally removed it using spybot and malewarebytes, the system is clean, however the virus disabled quite a few devices. A majority I was able to fix by uninstalling in device manager and then using the add hardware option in control panel. My audio still shows no audio device. Its a gateway 5310 desktop with an imbedded sound card. The motherboard is Intel Grantsdale- G i915 GV with the audio adapter being Intel 828801Fb ICH6. Ive tried to install the drivers for the above items but I still get no audio. At startup the install hardware pop up shows PCI Device, then the install hardware wizard for Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition audio. Ive installed that download as well and still get the same results at startup. Im at a loss, do I really need to use the gateway system recovery disc to reinstall windows and go back to square one? I would hate to have to do that after all of this time I've invested in trying to get this computer running correctly. Im desperate for some advice.

You didn't indicate which operating system that you are using so I will provide non-specific information.

1. You have stated that you have removed the virus. Assuming that it is gone, do a right-click on My Computer a left click on System Recovery. Choose the appropriate disk drive and restore to a date before you picked up the virus.

2. If that fails, the second thing to try is to go to the device manager and remove the audio device if present. Then reboot your computer. On reboot Windows should find new hardware and start the installation process. The driver will be on your recovery disk.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Thanks for your response. I am using windows xp home. Your first suggestion was not available to me, so I attempted number two. The Pci device in question is pci bus 0 device 27, function 0. Upon startup I have the same results. Using the recovery disc I still cannot locate the file requested hdaudbus.sys.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mugsy View Post
    Using the recovery disc I still cannot locate the file requested hdaudbus.sys.
    It should already be located on your HDD. C:\Windows\System32\drivers

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

This computer previously did a full system recovery with a backup. The backup is saved in folder on the C: drive, that backup of windows has the above hdaudbus.sys file, the current system of windows does not have the file. I copy and pasted the file from the backup file to the primary system and still get the same issue asking for the driver. Trying to browse to the system32\drivers doesnt give me the hdaudbus.sys file. The one positive is that on device manager realtek high definition audio shows up under Sound, video and game controllers. Properties on realtek states the device is working properly under device status, yet in control panel sounds and audio devices shows No Audio Device. Im confused yet still hopeful

Finally handled the .sys issue, but i still have the same basic problem, no sound. As i mentioned in the previous post device status says everything is ok, yet control panel still shows no audio device.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio tab.

Under Sound Playback do you have the option to select a Default Device from the drop down menu?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

tried that earlier, still no sound then i was getting a hang on the taskbar so decided to do full system recovery. enough was enough. should have done that in the beginning and saved myself a days worth of futile effort.