Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emachines shutdown due to thermal event

Unhappy Emachines shutdown due to thermal event

I know it has to do with the bios. I havent tinkered with anything so I wanted to know is it possible that the thermal paste could like disappear or be eaten by creepy crawlers...I recently had to move out of my home and this new one is not so desireable.

I need instructions as to how to higher the alarm temperature or possibly replace the paste or whatever is causing the shutdown...

Thanks in advance guys....

Blondie
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Although the Thermal Shutdown alarm is in the BIOS, i don't think the BIOS is 'faulty'. They usually have a fairly high level (sometimes too high)...

Most likely there is some other hardware issue causing the increased temps. Similar to your ideas about the paste and creepy-crawlers, the Thermal Paste does indeed 'wear' out over time (perhaps years)...

more likely, if you've recently moved house, perhaps the computer case got a bit knocked around in the UHaul truck and dislodged the HeatSinkFan assembly. Ensure that it is correctly seated and all the 'legs' are correctly clicked into place. Also, try to use some compressed air to blow dust out of heatsink and fan area, a small vacuum cleaner is an alternative.

Also, check the location of computer in the new room... ensure it is not ontop of a ducted heating outlet.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Is the new place hotter than your old house. like cash said could be airflow. blow out all your fans and heatsinks with canned air. open the case with it on and make sure all of them are spinning. Then check and try to push your cables to the back or tuck them away so they are not blocking anything.

ok guys ill try that
    It seems like the fan doesnt go all the time so it may be loose like you said
    like a wire is loos or something
    Hope i dont get shocked XD

THanks for respoding...you guys are always good at that.

Speech is
    Blondie

Im also downloading Everest freeware see if it detects some driver problem or temperature problem

Speech is
    Blondie

Some chips/motherboards do have a fan speed controller/software, that detects the temperature and if low temp then slow fan down, if high temp then speed fan up... However, I dont think that the fan should "turn off" at all (besides when no power)... So, I'd double check the HeatSinkFan wire that plugs into the motherboard and properly seat it in the modular plug.

Guys, would thermal shutdown occur with overheated North/South Bridgesets??

Bionic, what version/model of emachine do you have? Motherboard model? CPU type & speed? How old is it?

Not sure, but perhaps if the CMOS battery is near flat, some settings might be changed to 'random' values.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hey Cash

Computer is about a year and a half old from the time I bought it from Best Buy. Its an emachines T3265 model and here are the specs

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name KENDRA-PC
    User Name Kendra

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Celeron D, 3466 MHz (26 x 133)
    Motherboard Name Unknown
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Lakeport-G i945G
    System Memory 500 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Intel (02/16/07)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family (64 MB)
    3D Accelerator Intel GMA 950
    Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB] (805281005415)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
    IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
    IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
    SCSI/RAID Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
    Disk Drive WDC WD1200JS-22NCB1 ATA Device (111 GB, IDE)
    Optical Drive ATAPI DVD W DH16W1P ATA Device
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 105897 MB (66764 MB free)
    D: (NTFS) 8573 MB (3621 MB free)
    Total Size 111.8 GB (68.7 GB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
    Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection (192.168.1.100)
    Network Adapter Kerio VPN adapter (169.254.113.67)
    Modem PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Speech is
    Blondie

I did some research and what Im discovering is that the pc is shutting down at about 45C. According to some site it stated that most intel celerons run at about 67C so why is mine doing this? I think it might have something to do with it not running properly. I have another one laying around but it isnt the right size. :-( I just wanna make sure this isnt a program causing this heating failure. (Although I do intend to replace the heatsink regardless, but if it is still running why is it doing this?)

Speech is
    Blondie

Here is a Youtube video that does a good job of showing the important steps in replacing heatsink and fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OB1hxxKdec

The one thing he missed was reconnecting the fan electrical cable to the motherboard. Not a big sin since it is an obvious step.
    Last edited by efc; November 29th, 2008 at 18:22 PM. Reason: more information
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

With the information provided, it appears your motherboard is a socket 775 board. Here are fan and heatsink replacements.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c:1588|&Sort=4

and thermal paste.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati....asp?CatId=503
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    "Typically" that system will never get hot enough to create a thermal event. Celeron procs do pretty well for awhile even if the fans are completely off. Like mentioned above, it's possible a heatsink was knocked loose or maybe just the dust, dirt, grime that will normally clog fans and heatsinks is the problem. I know it really hasn't gotten cold enough down there to run the heaters so...I'm leaning towards dust and\or loose parts.

I will probably be down that way sometime next month. If you would like me to stop by (unless it's already fixed), send me a PM with your contact info.

I assume you are still in CC?

Thanks for the PC specs... I agree that something seems strange for it to shut down at 45oC (very low compared to other CPUs that can go to 85oC!!)

Have you tried dusting/vacuuming the fan and heatsinks? Put the Case on your desk and turn it on, watch to see if the fans are spinning. I think that CPU had 4 black 'legs' that mounted the heatsink the motherboard. Press them into the motherboard to ensure it is properly 'seated'.

Do you have the motherboard manual, perhaps there is a setting within the BIOS. (going back to your original post).

I'd rather you check all these out (free) instead of getting a new HSFan for no reason. Good luck!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    As an afterthought, I have a workstation that will shut itself down due to a "thermal event". This is caused by me using the wrong case fans in it. The factory fans have the ability to report their status to the bios. If the bios doesn't get that report in a timely fashion it determines that the fan isn't running, that the chassis is too hot and will turn itself off. On next boot it reports a thermal event.

In my case it's untrue because I am using aftermarket fans that cannot produce that report, but there isn't really a problem.

Again all that to say that possibly a fan has just come loose.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I agree with cash in his first post. We moved a server and when I went to open it to clean it I found the heatsink for the North bridge to be lose (and it cannot be put again since the motherboard connector came off) In this case it didn't happen with the move since the thermal paste in the chipset was completely dry. I have a PC that reports temp on the north bridge as well, so it is possible that a chipset over heating can cause a thermal problem. Cleaning all fans, and checking the air flow inside the case should give you a clue of the problem (My brother put a fan backwards once and the PC was shutting down after an hour because of over-heating).
    From the move and having in consideration the season, I would most likely think about that the new place where the PC is warmer than the old place.
    Install SpeedFan to get the values of the temp. The temperature that is reading 45C seems to be a chipset and not the CPU (it could also be a enviroment temp inside the case) My PC runs a hot 50C with the temperature in the room being 67 F, if the temp in the room is 90 F the PC will run at 71C. 77C is when the motherboard shuts down the PC in my case (I had a really difficult summer ) I had to put a small fan close to the PC to increase the air flow during summer. Now in winter I have the heating vent closed to my room, so the PC never gets hot (I freeze at night, but that is OK)

Ok, here is the latest. I removed the fan cleaned it and put it back. The way it is designed I can't get to the fan motor. The fan turns most of the time, but i have to turn it maunally to start it spinning. So I'm pretty sure I am going to have to replace the fan and the metal part which is attatched to it. Is the aluminum thing attatched to the fan the heatsink or is the base that is on the motherboard the heatsink. I'm curious because I didn't remove it. The information on the fan is that it is a Sunon. I'm thinking maybe it is a motherboard too hot issue because everest says it is an HDD sensor reading so I take it that makes a difference. As for a manual unless they have one on the internet this emachine came with like a rescue, erase everything disk and that was it. So I don't want to insert that unless its blue screen death time. How can I get into bios and if and when i do, what do i tell it?

Speech is
    Blondie