Thread: IE 7 Problems

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar

IE 7 Problems

As you know I have a brand new computer. It came with A firewall, Antivirus etc... I added from a CD Firefox which I my main browser.

Here is my problem. I do NOT USE IE except for when I need an update etc...

But soon as I turn on the dang computer and connect to the internet, I start receiving ads and offers, etc...

How can I get IE not to just open up and display things.

Firefox is my default browser.

I was going to bug Farquard, but he has done so much for me all the time...

So would someone tell me what I might try ?

PLEASE

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    That is a thought question.....
    You could put a proxy address of 127.0.0.1 in the IE settings. That will not stop IE from opening, but at least it will time out instantly.
    If you want to stop IE from opening the best solution would be to remove whatever is making IE open in the first place. Since it is a new laptop it is unlikely that it is spyware, but I would still recommend to run Spybot and Ad-Adware (full scan) to remove Spyware. The other thing you might want to try first, is to take a quick look at the add/Remove programs applet and uninstall any program suspicious or that you don't need. Sometimes, PCs, come with bloatware that can cause the pop-ups (old e-machines had them for example).
    In Spybot also, if you put it in Advanced mode, in the section for tools, there is a startup listing that identifies problems. You can go thru your start up list and un-check everything that is red, but also everything that you don't know what it is. You only need to leave the services for the antivirus and the firewall. What windows needs it will load regardless. You can also export the list and we can tell you what to Toggle

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    yes I agree with Dehc, It seems there is a bigger (hidden) issue that is trying to access the internet... Check Egg's Spyware Thread under his sig

Then, check Add/Remove Programs --> Default Apps, ensure Firefox is selected.

On side note, I remember there being a way to rename iexplore.exe (as you can't uninstall IE, but just 'trick it').

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I have run about 5 AntiVirus Programs. A couple of Malware types. etc... that 127.... idea seems good.

I also ran Hijaak this and all was in the green.

I will check the egg's thread.

Thanks.

I looked under egghead's sig... the link there is for him singing.

Still cannot get IE not to open. I guess I put the IP addy in the wrong place.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    My sig has the link. Some of the info is ancient tho.

I got the problem fixed, or I should say, Farq did it for me. He removed McAfee Total Protection (it came on the computer) and installed Zone Alarm instead. He has a set of ports to block and set it all up. and POOF! All of the problems were gone.

That is IT for me with McAfee... NEVER again!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Good to hear its all fixed Check if the ZoneAlarm allows the windows updates to work. But all should be OK.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---