Thread: No Internet [FIXED]

Silver Member

No Internet [FIXED]

A friend of mine has been on the telephone for about two hours with her Internet provider trying to get connected to the Internet...no luck. I believe they told her she has to reinstall Internet Explorer. How would you do that, if that is the problem ?
    I plan to go visit and just reboot everything, but if that doesn't work, I would like to try somethuing else. Now, there is another computer hooked up to the modem, and that computer does connect. The computer that won't connect is running XP Home. Many thanks for any suggestions, Mike

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I'd try sfc /scannow from the run box. that will check system files and if they are corrupt it will ask for the xp cd. then I'd down load the exe for service pack3 and run that.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    is the second puter hardwired or wireless? When did the problem start? Did she do anything different around the time that the connection failed? The reason I ask about the wireless is that it is possible if someone moved close by that it is picking up anothers wireless and is trying to connect through that and not hers or vise versa...I would check in network connections and verify how it is trying to connect.
    Last edited by PIPER; December 6th, 2008 at 08:59 AM.

Silver Member
    Problem solved. It seems she had a power outage at the house, and once before I had told her to reboot everything (by removong and reconnecting some of the wires) if the internet did not work when the power came on. Well when she reconnected the wires, they got messed up. The one computer that did work, worked because it was wired directly to the modem instead of through the router. Anyway, after I hooked up the wires correctly, everything does work now. Thanks for the info and suggestions, Mike