Thread: Looking for Biographical type info

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Looking for Biographical type info

It's a long store as to why\how I got interested in this today but...I would really like to find out what happened to this guy.

"Herman Frederick Marks"

Google only tells me so much.

"Herman Frederick Marks was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on August 1, 1921. In 1958 he went to Cuba and there joined Fidel Castro's revolutionary forces fighting in the Sierra Maestra Mountains to overthrow the government of Fulgencio Batista. After the revolution was brought to a sccessful conclusion in January 1959, Marks continued to serve as a captain in the Cuban Rebel Army. He was placed in command of some 7,000 to 8,000 men charged with the security of La Cabana, a military prison and fortress in Havana. There he presided over the execution of numerous prisoners condemned to death by military tribunals."

Wikipedia also:

"Herman Marks was an American who participated in the Cuban Revolution, first as a member of Che Guevara's guerilla unit in the Sierra Maestra, and then later as a firing squad captain. Little is known about Marks, but it is generally agreed upon that he was originally from Milwaukee; a veteran of the Korean War; had fled legal difficulties in the United States; was initially removed by Guevara for displaying sociopathic tendencies, but then given a job as an executioner post-revolution in the Cabaņa fortress in Havana, and finally left Cuba, whereabouts unknown. Javier Arzuaga, who as a Basque chaplain gave comfort and solace to those sentenced to death, knew Marks as "The Butcher."

In more recent revelations Herman Marks was a Marine deserter who was convicted for the rape of a teenage girl (he was 30 years of age at the time) and served 3 1/2 years in Waupin, Wisconsin State prison.

Citing: Exposing The Real Che Guevara by Humberto Fontova, PP.72-73, Sentinal Press (Penguin Group) 2007 ISBN 978-1-59523-027-0

He was remembered by colleagues as a socially awkward loner who enjoyed violence, particularly the execution of captured enemy combatants."

In reading about him, nothing ever says what finally happened i.e. where did He go to live after that, is He alive or dead, etc.

I'll save you from knowing my opinion on this slimeball but I am interested in knowing the rest of the story.
    Last edited by rik; January 10th, 2009 at 18:44 PM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Found this:

"Captain Herman F. Marks, an American whom Fidel Castro had appointed head of the garrison of La Cabana and official executioner, was the man who fired those coups de grace [pistol shots to assure that the condemned is truly dead] and carried out the inspections. When he was drunk, which he was very frequently, Marks would order the garrison to form up in full military gear and attack the prisoners. He called the prison his "private hunting reserve.' Another of his amusements was to stroll through the [prison halls] and call out to those who were to be tried for offenses which carried the death penalty; he would ask them behind which ear they wanted the coup de grace. He had a dog he took with him to the executions so the dog could lap up the dead men's blood. Years later he returned to the United States.'

That man, Herman F. Marks, is somebody's quiet neighbor, maybe in Fredonia, New York, maybe in Coral Gables, Florida. Is he unique?
    Full article here: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...is_/ai_4722845

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Blech.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Thanks Rev. What a piece-o-crap that one! Funny how this all started. I was working on my music collection...getting album info and such. Rage Against the Machine led me to Zach de La Rocha then to Che Guevara then to this guy.

According to what I found the U.S. revoked his Citizenship and deported him, but no info from there on.