Thread: Codec needed for Win. 7 ???

Silver Member

Codec needed for Win. 7 ???

I thought that Windows 7 included a codec to play videos ?? My videos do not start. Any suggestions for a good download to make the WMP play videos ?? Thanks, Mike

I can't reply from personal experience since I have not installed Windows 7. My research however, lead me to this site.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Silver Member
    Thanks efc for the reply. I tried Xvid, and AC3 filter and no luck. I also tried FLV and VLC, also with no luck. Most of my videos DO play with just the regular WMP, but the one video does not play with anything I tried so for. Not a big deal, as someone, maybe even Microsoft will make improvements to the codecs that are included with Win 7, and everything will play.
    Thanks again, Mike

Vista Codec pack works with windows 7, though it doesn't like mp4/quicktime files, but you can play them with media player classic.

Silver Member
    Thanks thraxed, for the reply. I have tried several already, in addition to the one that is standard in Win. 7. Check the third post for the ones I already tried. If you have another one in mind, please give me a link. Thank you, Mike

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    You might need to run a small app that can determine the encoded header file of your video. It might be an obscure codec that requires a specific download from the manu's website...

Google for "avicodec" and see if it's a handy app...

Also, are you sure that the video actually works (like in XP/Vista)?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Silver Member
    cash_site ... Thanks for the reply. I loaded a program called POWER DVD on the Win. 7 hard drive, that came with the computer and Vista. That program POWER DVD does open and play the last DVD I have that was not opening. So at least I can still view the DVD even though WMP will not open and play the DVD, but that is OK. Thanks again, Mike