Thread: Building my first computer

Question Building my first computer

In the past I have bought quite a lot of computers, almost every time I buy a computer I am faced with a string of seemingly unsolvable problems, so I have decided that it would probably be a good time to build my own computer, therefore removing the need to go through annoying vendors who are overcharging me anyway.

So I have basically compiled a list of the components that I have looked at and decided look pretty good, after having one of my friends tell me what to look for and pointing out when he thinks that things might not work etc. I have come up with my complete list.

Here is the list of components with prices and links:

Intel® Core™ i7-940 2.93 GHz 8MB Cache
    $559
    Link

OCZ StealthXStream 700-Watt Power Supply - ATX, 120mm Fan, SLI-Ready, SATA-Ready, PCI-Express
    $79.99
    Link

PNY GeForce GTX 295 Video Card - 1792MB GDDR3, 480 Cores, PCI-Express 2.0, (2) Dual Link DVI, HDMI, Quad SLI Support
    $499.99
    Link

Intel BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    $258.99
    Link

Corsair Dual Channel 4096MB PC10600 DDR3 1333MHz Memory (2x2048MB)
    x2
    $75.00x2
    $150.00
    Link

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Hard Drive ST31500341AS - 7200RPM, 32MB Cache, SATA-3G
    $129.99
    Link

Sony DRU-V200S/BR DVD Rewritable Drive SATA - 20x DVD±R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 12x DVD-R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 16x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-R, 32x CD-RW, 48x CD-ROM Black
    $40.00
    Link

Bigfoot M1 Gigabit LAN Killer Gaming Network Interface Card
    $230.00
    Link

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI Sound Card
    $100.00
    Link

TOTAL: $2,100 USD

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me wether that would all actually fit together, weather all that stuff is compatible (I'm fairly sure it is...) or if you know a better part then please post.
    Also I'm looking for a case big enough to fit all of that, if anyone knows where I can get a decent one then please post as well.

Thanks
    Computers will never take the place of books. You can't stand on a floppy disk to reach a high shelf.
    -- Sam Ewing

Which operating system do you intend on using?

This machine should be a killer. It is far beyond the machines that I routinely build, but since I am not a gamer, I would be throwing money away to buy most of these top-of-the-line components.

I did run into one thing that might save you some money. Instead of buying the Killer NIC M1 for $230, consider the Killer NIC K1 for $149 also from TigerDirect LINK. According to LegitReviews, the K1 does not come with every capability that M1 has. Those capabilities can be added for a $30 update. LINK

You may find that you don't need the missing perks. Even if you do, you will save money going with an upgrade to the K1.

Conclusions to LegitReviews.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I also noticed that the memory you are considering is available at that price until 2/15/09. Please note that you are misreading the final price. It is $74.99 after rebates and instant savings for the total 4MB not the $150 that you budgeted.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

thanks for the feed back, Ill look into the K1 instead of the M1 =D the problem I am having at the moment is also that I didn't account for shipping, seeing as I live in australia and china depending on what time of year it is it might be a bit of a pain to get parts shipped here >.< not the mention that the exchange rate is going to be annoying...

Also I'm planning on having a Win 7/ Win vista (depending on how win 7 goes) and linux duel boot... I've found linux is very useful for solving problems which just can't be fixed on windows but there are a lot of apps and games which only run on windows 0.0
    Computers will never take the place of books. You can't stand on a floppy disk to reach a high shelf.
    -- Sam Ewing

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    I'm drooling here.....lol

I'm planning on having a Win 7/ Win vista
    32-bit or 64-bit?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Everything looks great except for the motherboard. I would get an Asus equivalent of that motherboard.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    When & Where are you in Australia? Check out MSY and CPL if you're ever in Melbourne, they're have very competitive pricing (pretty close to USA pricing too).

For such a high-end system, i'd consider a BlueRay burner Lite-On DH-4B1S or equivalent.

Goodluck, definitely post some benchmarks when you're done!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well for one you shouldn't go with an intel board, just for ddr3 memory and true tripple channel memory, only 4 slots makes ya limited. I like my gigabyte ud5, but i think most would shoot for an evga motherboard. A 940 is overkill and a waste of money, all clock records have been broken with a 920 and some water cooling. I would probably hold off on a video card tell april when new ati card comes out. From what i hear nvidia drivers can be pretty buggy.