Thread: Multiple Monitors

Multiple Monitors

OK Here is my situation (excuse me if a little long winded)

At my fire department I initiated the use of a web page based availability system...basically a single web page showing info on each station in the department via a database

I want to have the page viewable at all times in the hallway of my fire station so my plan was to get a spare computer place it in a closet and runt he video cable through the wall where the monitor will be mounted so everyone can see the info as they walk by.

My chief would rather not utilize a computer just for that (even though it is old and sitting in the closet collecting dust)

He states he would rather tie the monito into a currrent computer (so basically split the video signal) and have the computer mounted on the wall in that room.

I told him I was not sure fi that could be done.

So here are my questions....

Can it be done in a way that the computer splitting the audio signal could still be used and continuously show the web page on the added monitor?

If it can be done, what would I need to accomplish it (other than the extra monitor)

Regardless if it can be done or not, what is the longest distance a monitor can be away from the PC? I wasnt sure if the signal broke down or not with a long video cable and I wasnt even actually sure how long of a cable I could get or if connectors are acceptible.

Thanks IN advance

Ron
    www.grovevillefire.com

I am assuming that you are looking for an inexpensive method to accomplish this configuration. Probably the easiest method is to use a VGA splitter which can be found on the internet for a reasonable price. Here is one source. You can also purchase a video card with two or even more video connections. They can get expensive in a hurry.

The biggest problem will be distance and the cable you use. I think that 25' will be the maximum distance, using a continuous VGA cable. Though I have seen longer, the display quality will drop off with increased distance.

Cable source.
    Last edited by efc; March 18th, 2009 at 15:41 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Thanks for the input.... one other question. What happens if the 2 monitors are different sizes? One is a widescreen using 1680 x 1050 and one is more of a square monitor that would need a resolution of 1024 x 768

If you use a splitter, both monitors will have the same resolution. This should not be a major problem. You could control some of that by adjusting the resolution of the document that you intend to project on the second monitor. The higher the resolution the smaller it will appear on the monitor.

A video card with multiple video outputs should have some adjustment capability for each output. I would read specs very carefully.

Final thought. I don't think there is any way to know exactly what the result would be until you try. No guarantees here.

If it helps. I think your original solution of using the spare computer is the way to go. It is a virtually no cost solution with none of the possible problems cited above.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Good tips EFC!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---