Thread: Network / Internet Problem

Network / Internet Problem

OK here is my problem

I have a computer in my house that is networked via wireless usb device (linksys) - my main pc has the wireless router.

Recently the computer that always connected wireless stopped internet connection so i figured it was the wireless adapter since it was pretty old. I bought a new wireless adapter and same thing. The computer is able to connect to the network fine but it will not have internet access. I tried numerous things such as

reinstalling network adapter
    re-configuring router settings
    changed WEP key and made sure correct one was entered

The weird thing is... The computer reads the router fine and shows an excellent signal (100%) from the command prompt I pinged the router and all attempts were sucessful but if I ping yahoo.com it failed (thus no internet connection on it)

I called Linksys and they had NO idea.... they kept telling me that there must be a problem with my router but I also have a laptop in the house that is able to go online wireless with no problem.

The one thing i did notice is that if i tried a repair of the wireless network it does get hung up and reports it is unable to renew the IP address. In the settings we have the IP configured as automatic and linksys even tried a manual setting and it still didnt work.

Firewall is disabled and the only new software on computer is PC Doctor which scans for malware and trojans which i also tried disabling in addition to all virus programs.

Both main computer and one setup with wireless adapter are using Windows XP and the laptop (which has no problems) is using Vista Home

Any help would be appreciated

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Sounds like your TCP\IP stack may be FUBAR'd. Try reinstalling it.

If another system can connect wirelessly then the router is fine, so the issue is local to that system. (duh right?)

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    this might suck but have you tried connecting via wired connection? that would single out the tcp/ip issue. have you tried a different profile....like logging in as administrator and see if you can get online. I've seen the screwiest crap happen cause a corrupt user profile.

I have tried wiring computer but if I have to reinstall the tcp/ip, how would I do that?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by captainron19@ao View Post
    I have tried wiring computer but if I have to reinstall the tcp/ip, how would I do that?
    In Windows XP, a reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:
    1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER: cmd
    2. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
      Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

When you run the reset command, it rewrites two registry keys that are used by TCP/IP. This has the same result as removing and reinstalling the protocol.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Not sure if fixed, but what about checking the Wireless Security? I.e. using wrong passphrase or WEP instead of WPA2 etc?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---