Thread: Adapter not read as connected

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar

Adapter not read as connected

When I plug my cable modem directly into my laptop, neither reads as connected. It's not the cable; I've tried several.

The modem was replaced last week, and works via wireless router, so that's not it either. Device mgr says the network adapter's working properly, the drivers are up to date, no new hardware / software...

System Specs
    O/S Windows 7, post format:C
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller
    Dell Inspiron E1505

How do I find the glitch, and how do I fix it?

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Probably not a glitch. It is your router working as it was set up to work with your desktop identified by its mac address.

My suggestions. Reset router. With a little luck it will identify both computers. Should this fail, it is time to enter the router setup (security section). There you will find a section that allows you to enter the mac address for each computer with permission to reside on the lan. It should look similar to this one for a lynksis.

Be sure that the original password on the router is changed (preferably to a secure one).

You should be able to find a complete users manual for your router via a google search.

good luck!
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

But this happens when the router is offline and unplugged!

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Don't know which modem you are using, so I will talk about my Westell 6100. It has NAT capability so some of the issues discussed earlier can pertain to the modem when router is not in use. A google search for "Westell 6100 manual" was productive. There may be some info here that will help you with your problem. You can also search for the manual for your modem.

I assume that you beyond this step. Did you create a new network connection on that laptop?
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

OK. In a nutshell:
    The modem's from Time-Warner RoadRunner, replaced just last week, made by RCA.The laptop's a Dell Inspiron E1505, running Windows 7 beta. Network card is Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller. The modem's a Hawking.

When I try to connect the modem directly to the laptop via Ethernet cable, neither reads as connected. Is there any way to determine which piece of hardware's at fault?

love, piaqt

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    From what you're saying it sounds like your laptop still thinks the modem is connected via the router.

Have you tried clicking the systray network icon to see if it shows a specific problem.

You could try uninstalling the broadcom controller via device manager then reboot and let windows reinstall it. Disconnect the modem first and then recoonect it when windows has finished loading the controller.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    uninstall from DM then redetect

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Was the ethernet cable damaged?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---