Thread: Joining two computers

Joining two computers

I am wondering if this is possible?

As i have a new computer that i have bought, and i am wondering if it is possible to join this to my old computer base unit with a ribbon cable?
    Because i have seen a picture of this being done, but i am just wondering if i would be able to do it in my case?

As i would like to fill the old computer case with maybe four hard drives, which would accessed from my new computer.

Indiana U.S.A.
    Well you could use a or you can buy a switch or router for possible further expansion. The cheapest way to go would be with a cross over cable if you are just wanting to have a 2 computer network.

Here is a site that might help you out.
    Last edited by Tinker; April 26th, 2009 at 13:33 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Software Paradise
    I think he was trying to use the old PC case as a HD storage (like external USB HD) case... I think it should be able to work, however several things to consider.

1. Power - You might be able to use the old PSU, but not sure if it 'powers' up with only HDs and no motherboard.
    2. Length of IDE or SATA cables - You are limited to 12" or similar for the length of the cables to connect from your motherboard to the old PC case... perhaps stacking the 2 PC cases could reduce the distance.
    3. Complexity - With the price of LARGE HDs these days, you're better off buying an External USB / eSata case and fitting a 2TB drive or something.

Overall, it comes down to your desired usage? Want to run a DataCentre then you'll plenty of space for many HDs.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---