Thread: Outlook Express - sends message multiple times

Outlook Express - sends message multiple times

I have XP Pro. When I send an e-mail in Outlook Express, I get an error message indicating their were problems. The message remains in the Outbox, and if I do not delete it, would sit there and be sent multiple times. (I sent to my office e-mail and got 21!!
    I almost think this could be a worm, or some kind of malware causing this, but I have Avast. I run Ad Aware. Also, the Microsoft malicious software removal tool (whatever the correct name)... No indication of what is causing my problem.
    I uninstalled down to IE 6 and re-installed IE 8, and re-installed SP 2 & SP3. It did not eliminate the problem.
    I welcome a fix, if there is one. Then, I'll seek help for a problem with You Tube not playing videos when every other place seems just fine. But that's another thread?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Moved thread.

Your Outbox may be corrupt. Delete the Outbox.dbx file and then a new one will be created when you restart OE.

To delete that file navigate to:

C:\Documents and Settings\~ username~\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\~ id number~\Microsoft\Outlook Express.

Delete the Outbox.dbx file

Alternatively you can locate that Outbox.dbx using Search from the Start Menu.

Note: to locate that file you must have "Show hidden files and folders" enabled.

Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Unable to delete Outbox.dbx file

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    Moved thread.

Your Outbox may be corrupt. Delete the Outbox.dbx file and then a new one will be created when you restart OE.

To delete that file navigate to:

C:\Documents and Settings\~ username~\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\~ id number~\Microsoft\Outlook Express.

Delete the Outbox.dbx file

Alternatively you can locate that Outbox.dbx using Search from the Start Menu.

Note: to locate that file you must have "Show hidden files and folders" enabled.

Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders.
    Search turns up nothing when I type in "Outbox.dbx."
    I get bogged down trying to get there with your
    "C:\Documents and Settings\~ username~\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\~ id number~\Microsoft\Outlook Express." suggestion.

Local Settings does not appear to be there, and I'm unclear about "id number" Maybe I'm doing something wrong - as usual.

I did search for plain ".dbx" and only one result turned up...to do with music.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Do you have "Show hidden files and folders" enabled?

Hidden files

Yes, I do! At least that's what I see when I follow the directions to make them show up.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Another option to try is empty your "Sent Items" folder.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

With over 2,600 messages? That's a lot of available back-reference. Besides: are they not a Local Folder?
    I may have come up with a fix. I have all e-mails coming to my cox.net account now fetched on over to my gmail account.