Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quiet at the mo

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar

Quiet at the mo

I know i've been gone for a few years but boy has this forum got quiet!

Quoting directly from the classic Red Ball adverts: 'Where is everybody?'

Two answers to that -

1. Big Booger is no longer around.

and

2. There seems to be fewer people that need a lot of hand-holding with basic issues. When we get a question these days it tends to be hardware specific.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hey EFC, long time no see!

2. Ah the natural order of things

1. What happened to booger?

Edit: I just went through his last post and found his leaving thread, very sad indeed!

As for all you Techzone old-timers out there that know me, make some noise, i wanna see how you are all doing!

Gimie
    Last edited by GimieGimieGimie; July 9th, 2009 at 22:00 PM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I am skimming through the forums everyday just I don't login since my browser doesn't keep my login details anymore and I have it set to delete everything on close.

Ya we miss booger and i'm sure he lurks.

Good to see you making some noise

I think I am the only one still using XP and since Vista won't let regular people bugger up their systems well people are actually surfing trouble free hehe
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Smile

Heh yeah, to be honest, i never actually viewed this forum as exclusively hardware support like peppys xp was.

After 8 long happy years of being on XP i finally switched to Windows 7 RC1 and been a happy bunny for the last month or so.

Is it me or has Microsoft finally made the perfect OS? It's an absolute delight!

Vista without the performance hit and nagging warning screens, what else could you need? Also the OS installed ALL my drivers automatically and even updated them on first boot, amazing! Plug and pray is finally a thing of the past.

The only driver i had to install was the official ATI ones for my graphics card and games run as good on Windows 7 as they did in Windows XP, at least i haven't noticed any difference.

So yeah, if you thought Vista lessened the need for IT support, you ain't seen nothing yet, Windows 7 should firmly kill it off.

But that's a good thing, means we can concentrate on fun and less frustrating topics like whats the latest music / films people are watching

I've finally found the perfect job where i can sit on my arse and browse the web all day so rest assure you will see me browsing through the forum at least once a day

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Hi Gimie....like egg, I am here daily to scope things out but like u said not much activity....life moves us in different directions but I still roll back here most days. Things started to change when BB left for sure but it continues to get slower and slower...sad thing but hey, I think for the most part the oldies but goodies are still around....good to see you back man!!!...

Yeah it is sad but like you said, it's good to pop in every so often just to catch up!

Thanks man, it's good to be back, i hope to stick around as long as possible this time!

Software wise most things are much more reliable and robust every year, hardware wise everything gets cheaper. Many more people are now protected by the hardware firewall and NAT in their routers so only attack vectors are via connected services ie browser, email, file sharing. Compared to Windows 98 and a modem direct to the world we are in a completely different ballgame.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Yo Gimie!!! How's life been treating you?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Did I not get the reunion invite?

Damn it, my e-mail system failed to notify me about your response to this thread conan!

Yeah i'm doing absolutely fine, how about you?

A lots changed since i was last here, since 2004, been working hard to get up the corporate ladder, taken 5 long years but im finally somewhere in the IT world i quite like lol.

What's new in your life Conan?

Hey rik, how's it going buddy!?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GimieGimieGimie View Post
    Damn it, my e-mail system failed to notify me about your response to this thread conan!

Yeah i'm doing absolutely fine, how about you?

A lots changed since i was last here, since 2004, been working hard to get up the corporate ladder, taken 5 long years but im finally somewhere in the IT world i quite like lol.

What's new in your life Conan?

Hey rik, how's it going buddy!?
    These two threads will summarize what's new in my life!

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25566

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25831

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    Well well well, you have been a busy man Conan!

Belated congratulations on the beautiful baby girl, what wonderful pics!

What's your occupation Conan, photographer?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    yeah sorry guys it has been so crazy at work. we are completely redoing our network infrastructure and trying to consolidate our servers to VM's. Then on top of that I have my kids down for the summer. So the last thing I want to do is surf the web when I get home and usually the kids are on the PC's anyways. I'm hoping things will mellow out soon and I can visit more often.

No problem phish, sounds like you got your hands full, good luck with everything and catch up with you when your next free