Thread: Are gamers really overweight and depressed?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

Are gamers really overweight and depressed?

The average gamer isn't that 9-year-old child fragging you online, according to a new study by researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Emory University, and Andrews University. The average gamer, they concluded, looks nothing like that kid.

According to "Health-Risk Correlates of Video-Game Playing Among Adults" (PDF), the result of a 2006 survey of 552 adults living in the Seattle area, the average gamer is 35 years old, overweight, and depressed.

The researchers chose the Seattle area because of its size, diversity, and reputation of having the highest Web usage in the United States.

James B. Weaver III of the CDC's National Center for Health Marketing said the study shows that there are real differences between gamers and nongamers.

"Health risk factors differentiated adult video game players from nonplayers," Weaver said in a statement. "Video game players also reported lower extroversion, consistent with research on adolescents that linked video game playing to a sedentary lifestyle and overweight status, and to mental-health concerns."

Full story: c|net

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Oh man, I just downed another burger while fraggin the zombies on level 12, but lucky im only 29 so plenty time to feel sorry for myself later

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    "Are gamers really overweight and depressed?"

No, that's just me...