Thread: US man 'stole 130m card numbers'

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

US man 'stole 130m card numbers'

The card details were allegedly stolen from three firms, including 7-Eleven
    US prosecutors have charged a man with stealing data relating to 130 million credit and debit cards.

Officials say it is the biggest case of identity theft in American history.

They say Albert Gonzalez, 28, and two un-named Russian co-conspirators hacked into the payment systems of retailers, including the 7-Eleven chain.

Prosecutors say they aimed to sell the data on. If convicted, Mr Gonzalez faces up to 20 years in jail for wire fraud and five years for conspiracy.

He would also have to pay a fine of $250,000 (£150,000) for each of the two charges.

Mr Gonzalez used a technique known as an "SQL injection attack" to access the databases and steal information, the US Department of Justice (DoJ) said.

The method is believed to involve exploiting errors in programming to access data.

Full story: BBC News

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    No soup for you Constanza!

But really, I mean SQL injection is so old hat, must have been a dodgy database in the first place, I'd be suing 7-11 for poor security (duty of care & Due dilligence)... while the the "soup-king" shouldn't have tried reselling the numbers, he could have advised the authorities and end up making more money without time as soap-on-rope!

Oh well, enjoy the showers buddy.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You are correct. Anytime an Enterprise or Corp of that size gets hit with an old exploit, it's just shame on them. I'll bet their IT budget will include money for upgrades next year, eh?

Rik, I'm sure that you are right on the tech side. As someone that has been hit with identity theft, I don't have a sense of humor on the subject. I would vote for putting this guy in jail for 50 years and cutting off his n**s just for good measure.

After reviewing that comment, I think that I must be getting soft in my old age. There was a time I might have favored a firing squad.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

It happened again. Unauthorized charges against one of my cards yesterday. Had to cancel account. It is getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    It happened again. Unauthorized charges against one of my cards yesterday. Had to cancel account. It is getting old.
    Holy smoke Efc, gee so sorry to hear. I hope the guy who "bought" the bicycle sits on it with no seat!! (ofcourse assuming he bought one)...

Can you change Bank Institutions? Like, I know Citi Group are notorious for being hacked! What about a small town Credit Union?

Hell, I'm going to go back to putting my dollars under the mattress!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Condolences EFC

You have to have a credit card in today's economy. I can assure you that I am very careful with it's use online. What you cannot control is what happens to information, once it has been passed to others. For that reason I enrolled in Lifelock several years ago. They do the heavy lifting now that I have a problem.

Lifelock sounds pretty interesting, hope they don't get hacked.

In any case, hope you can retrieve the funds from the latest theft! Does your bank offer protection or at least not require you to pay?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Charges were removed.

Good to hear Efc! one of our Australian banks have a fraud protection service called 'Falcon'... the tv adverts have pictures of robbers trying to access your account, and a large falcon (bird of prey) swooping down and capturing them in their talons...lol.

Wish they could train WedgeTails to peck their eyes out or something!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---